Section Viewports Object Display settings

Can anybody tell me the difference between Hidden Object Display and Object Display. I understand what Hidden object Display does and that makes perfect sense. What I can't really get a handle on is what Object display setting is trying to achieve save for that fact that it's behaviour seems to depend on the location of the Cut Plane.

The Help Files tell you virtually nothing and a Video on Vectorworks university skimmed over the subject.

Many thanks

Mark

Object display allows you to show objects behind you (i.e. before the section plane) whereas hidden objects are objects that are in turn behind those objects. This is before the cut plane. Beyond the cut plane you are obviously seeing the objects in front of you already so it's only the hidden objects that come into question. You have two stages of visibility before the cut plane.

Have you used the 'Cut Plane + Display...' settings when you edit section/elevation in place? I can't get them to do anything:

Thankyou Tom

I reckon I get that. So when the Cut Plane is buried in a Solid object, the first object above that (I'm working on a Horizontal Section Viewport) is going to be controlled by Object Display and anything else above that object will be controlled by Hidden Object Display.

I saw your post earlier about Section in Place..... I  think I'm right in saying that you have never been able to see anything before or above the Cut Plane with this function.

As far as Cut Plane and display settings go, I have only ever used them for Plugin objects from the resource manager and that works fine in my experience.

Edited by markdd
10 minutes ago, markdd said:

I reckon I get that. So when the Cut Plane is buried in a Solid object, the first object above that (I'm working on a Horizontal Section Viewport) is going to be controlled by Object Display and anything else above that object will be controlled by Hidden Object Display.

100%

Well I can't get the Cut Plane + Display settings in Edit Section/Elevation in Place edit mode to do anything at all. I thought the way they're meant to work is that if you for example, in the VP settings, specify that you want to see all the hidden objects in a certain class displayed with certain attributes, in the Cut Plane + Display settings you can select one of those objects + specify that it be displayed with different attributes or be removed from the display completely. This seemed really useful functionality to me, to be able to fine-tune the display on an object-by-object basis rather than by class, but nothing I do in the Cut Plane + Display settings has any effect, regardless of the type of object involved.

Yes that function works fine - on the cut plane - it is the hidden objects beyond the cut plane + objects/hidden objects before the cut plane part that won't work for me:Screenshot 2021-02-19 at 05.56.02.png

So in your example earlier where you talked about making an object above the cut plane visible then making another object above that object visible as well, these settings should allow you to override the display/attribute settings for those objects on an object basis rather than class basis

1 hour ago, Tom W. said:

Yes that function works fine - on the cut plane - it is the hidden objects beyond the cut plane + objects/hidden objects before the cut plane part that won't work for me:Screenshot 2021-02-19 at 05.56.02.png

So in your example earlier where you talked about making an object above the cut plane visible then making another object above that object visible as well, these settings should allow you to override the display/attribute settings for those objects on an object basis rather than class basis

Is this new ?

Did it come with VP Direct Mode (VW 2020 ?) or with VW 2021 ?

@Matt PanzerThere is very little written about this feature and the section Viewport visibilities I started this thread with. It would be great to understand the rationale behind the object display buttons as there seem to be some inconsistencies with the behaviour that I still cannot quite resolve in my head! Despite Tom W’s helpful explanation which I had more or less come around to already.

Can you elaborate a little more about what is intended with these visibility buttons or point me to a tutorial.

Many thanks.

• Like 4