DWF DWG Export

Hi guys, 

It is so frustrating the export to DWG / DWF... The loss of information is incredible, the time spent to (re)setup all the sheets, everthing... I give some concrete examples :

The direct export to DWF, just forget... It is unusable

Export to DWG, the classes come all over the place, I need to start exploding blocks and turning off layers. Now imagine 40 sheets of it... 

Data visualizations, forget, option selected but in the DWG... 

Images on worksheets, gone... 

Worksheets on annotation mode, shrink, needs to me scaled back to reality. 

And the list goes over and over. 

I know vectorworks isn't autocad, but I can't send a vwx or pdf file for the construction team. Public entities over here just accept DWFx (because of the digital signature). 

I talk with some collegues here in Portugal and they all complain about this matter. Are we the only ones? 

• Like 4

I'm certain you're not alone! It is very poor, fortunately I seldom need to do it, would probably go to using Briscad entirely if I needed to.

"I know vectorworks isn't Autocad" No, but Nemetschek like to pretend it is (hubris to think VW could become a standard), which makes a problem for all of us. I avoid referencing anything into VW, just have everything in the file; I've found numerous export problems with that alone.

At the same time it's a democracy problem where Autodesk have inveigled their closed-source model into local governments across the planet. Something that needs calling out wherever it is seen.

I'm only on 2012 but do later versions of VW have anything like Autocad's Pack and Go(essentially sucks all XREFs into the main file) - which they had 20 years ago?

Import from seems pretty terrible too. I think part of the (import) problem is lack of CAD training (what ever platform people draw with).

2 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

@unearthed It is a little unfair to be commenting on how VW currently works when you are using a version that is 9 versions old.

EVERYTHING about VW has improved substantially since VW2012. That includes importing and exporting.

For similarity to Pack and Go, simply duplicate the file and then break all of the references while keeping the data.

The import function works like a charm but the export could have improved, but surely isn't working... What a nightmare. I just wanted to ear something about this matter from the VW team. 

3 hours ago, unearthed said:

I'm certain you're not alone! It is very poor, fortunately I seldom need to do it, would probably go to using Briscad entirely if I needed to.

"I know vectorworks isn't Autocad" No, but Nemetschek like to pretend it is (hubris to think VW could become a standard), which makes a problem for all of us. I avoid referencing anything into VW, just have everything in the file; I've found numerous export problems with that alone.

At the same time it's a democracy problem where Autodesk have inveigled their closed-source model into local governments across the planet. Something that needs calling out wherever it is seen.

I'm only on 2012 but do later versions of VW have anything like Autocad's Pack and Go(essentially sucks all XREFs into the main file) - which they had 20 years ago?

Import from seems pretty terrible too. I think part of the (import) problem is lack of CAD training (what ever platform people draw with).

I see dwf/dwg files from Archicad and they are workable. We know that Autodesk is very closed concerning this matters but, honestly, I feel my neurons slowly dying when a open the exported dwg file and start stitching the file to be delivered. 

• Like 1