selecting items on a layer?

Patterson Company

Question

I have the layer and all classes turned on. Suddenly I cannot select any items such as doors, windows, etc which are on the same layer (different classes) without using a force select. When I use force select it selects the class and layer for the item and allows me to access.

This happened suddenly? I wonder if working plane has something to do with it? How do I get back to being able to select everything on a layer when the classes are turned on?

I notice that my class stays on NONE in other plans. But I am being forced to choose a class to be able to access the item.

So frustrated!

Edited by Patterson Company

4 answers to this question

Check your class options either in the nav palette here:

image.thumb.png.6904578f0f158b8e69c30ce3b4b2e3b8.png

or in the view menu here:

image.thumb.png.98057e39d95faeb68ad5f733dee18024.png

make syre they are set to Show/Snap/Modify others. It sounds like you might have inadvertantly used the shortcuts keys to "Show others" which will let you see other class but not select/modify them.

Thank you.

That was not it.

I did check to make sure my Layer Options were correct and my classes were turned on. Each item I force selected would go to it's class instead of the none class so I could not select individual items in one layer (walls, doors, windows). I force selected on everything and when I force selected doors it magically reverted back to the none class and allowed me to access everything on that layer.

I think it had to do with a set working plane?

Not sure?

7 minutes ago, Patterson Company said:

I did check to make sure my Layer Options were correct and my classes were turned on.

It's actually the class options, not layer options, I meant for you to check. I typically have the layer options set to "Show/Snap" so that I don't accidentally move stuff on a different layer. It does mean I can only select stuff on the active layer.

I've had exactly this issue present to me before and so was pretty sure it was to do with the class options. Not sure how the working plane options should effect this. Are you working in top plan view? maybe someone else knows what is going on...