Roof surfaces, wall cavities, rendered vs. hidden line texture mapping

Chad McNeely

Question

Hi, my use of VW has been a little lighter than in years past, so I thought some of these might be my being a little rusty, or no longer a mega user. These are things I've seen across multiple generations of VW, and persisted from an upgrade from an old Mac Pro to a new iMac. I've skimmed through "known issues" and not seen these raised.

With roof surfaces, the geometry/linework disappears in a non-plan wireframe view. I can only get it to consistently show if the roof layer is greyed while another layer is fully visible or active. Even if the roof layer is active, the surfaces disappear unless selected. I've seen this through multiple VW versions and across a computer/graphic card update. (I thought it was my old Mac Pro and its old graphic cards, and was hugely disappointed to see it wasn't!)

If I use a wall cavity for the exterior finish -siding, stucco, whatever- it will frequently not render in pictorial renders. It's as if the 1" cavity is "flattened" against the internal cavity. Other non-wall shapes then appear to sit proud of the non-rendered wall cavity. Sometimes I can go to the design layer and fast-render the walls, then return to the viewport and it'll work, but it seems more often to require VW restarts or computer restarts, and that is also iffy. Again, I hoped it was an old graphics card issue, but it persists.

Using a renderworks texture with a surface hatch, the hidden line and rendered versions often conflict. An extrude's sides will have brick/stone/whatever running vertically, while the rendered version is horizontal, for instance.

VW has changed its 3d interface a lot over the years, and I'll lodge my vote here to revert to earlier modes. Some troublesome examples include:

--For hybrid objects, when editing the underlying 2d source object, VW somewhat arbitrarily switches to a special 3d view that makes snapping to other items impossible, or places newly drawn items some place other than where the cursor is on the screen. If I'm drawing/editing a 2d shape, I can't fathom the logic of VW doing this. A similar thing happens when editing symbols, where the view switches to one that prevents external snapping to reference geometry.

--I find that top view is often significantly displaced from plan view.

--When pasting geometry -created outside of a symbol- inside a symbol, using a click of the cursor to indicate the (general) intended paste location, VW instead pastes the items way outside the current view.

Any ideas?

Simple examples of the disappearing vs. selected roof faces, and the flat-rendered outer wall cavity are attached.

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 4.31.44 PM.pdf Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 4.29.23 PM.pdf Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 4.32.27 PM.pdf Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 4.28.20 PM.pdf

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet