Question

It's long past time for a real Rooflight Object, no?

3D skylight symbols are horribly slow and clunky things to work with, especially in the early stages of the design process.

VE-101614

Edited by Christiaan
  • Like 4

5 answers to this question

@Christiaan I totally agree with this. The Current workarounds for creating roof lights, especially customer ones is simply too clunky and unreliable. We need a roof light tool that is totally parametric like windows, and ideally more directly editable by dragging and resizing. I would love to see windows and doors one day have direct stretching capabilities too rather than always typing in numbers. Please get a roof light tool on the development program along with other major roof improvements to the roof toll as it has now become the weakest link, and lets face it every building has a roof! I would love to see gutters added as a roof option and rainwater pipe tool, instead of having to custom model all of this.

• Like 4

I'm struggling with skylights again on a new project. Honestly, I'm surprised VW hasn't fixed this. The current options are to either deal with the inadequacies of the skylight objects included. Or cut a hole and create your own skylight object (this is what most people do). But why not have a parametric skylight tool, just like windows, with styles and everything, that automatically rotate and insert into the roof object? We need them to work with schedules, just like windows also. I agree with @Christiaan and @JRA-Vectorworks-CAD that this is way past due.

It's a bit of a joke that when you look at the VW promo website it has stuff like this:

1439174849_Screenshot2021-03-25at22_50_42.thumb.jpg.4b3e596dbf1907207c4108535aa5fa7b.jpg

and meanwhile in the real world here we are wondering why we can't even have a proper rooflight tool. Not to mention a working regular window tool.

• Like 2