Hidden Object Display settings in Section + Interior Elevation Viewports

Tom W.

Question

I’ve figured out how to use the main settings in the O.I.P. where you can set obscured objects to display by class (for example show something hidden behind a wall with a dashed line) but I can’t get the override settings when you edit section/elevation in-place to work.

I thought these ‘Cut Plane + Display’ settings would allow me to a select a specific obscured object not currently displayed + make it display. Or vice versa take an object that is currently displayed + make it so you don’t see it. So apply the settings to specific individual objects rather than it be done by class.

But when I’m in the section/elevation in-place edit mode + I select the object in question + go into the ‘Cut Plane + Display’ settings none of the changes I make there have any effect.

The cut plane settings work but the hidden object settings aren’t doing anything for me.

Am I doing something wrong? 

14 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

The current behavior is consistent to how extrudes work in Vectorworks:  The attributes of the 3D geometry in an extrude take on the attributes of their 2D source object within.  Because of this class overrides also have no effect on the extrude's attributes.  While one might argue it should work differently, that is the current design.  So, I would say this is working as designed.

In the case where the 2D source is "none", and the 3D object is "extrudes" then I get it that the 3D object takes on the attributes of the "none" class.

So when it comes to making a section viewport, does VW look at the 3D object, and just look at its attributes (which match "none" class attributes) but fail to recognise that it's in either of those two classes, hence does not apply the override?

But if the object's 2D source, and 3D object classes are both "extrudes" then it seems to work - which implies that VW can recognise it as being in a certain class.

So I don't quite follow what's happening.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
6 hours ago, line-weight said:

In the case where the 2D source is "none", and the 3D object is "extrudes" then I get it that the 3D object takes on the attributes of the "none" class.

So when it comes to making a section viewport, does VW look at the 3D object, and just look at its attributes (which match "none" class attributes) but fail to recognise that it's in either of those two classes, hence does not apply the override?

But if the object's 2D source, and 3D object classes are both "extrudes" then it seems to work - which implies that VW can recognise it as being in a certain class.

So I don't quite follow what's happening.

I believe the attributes must be "by class" for it to work.  If a class override works on the object, I think these attributes should work.

16 minutes ago, Matt Panzer said:

I believe the attributes must be "by class" for it to work.  If a class override works on the object, I think these attributes should work.

As far as I can tell, the attributes are "by class", for the relevant objects in my example file (attached to my earlier post).

And trying just now, I can use a class override on the object that is showing wrongly. That is, the object that's failing to show in the linetype I want for "above cut plane" objects, if I apply a class override for its class(es) to the viewport, they work.

Edited by line-weight
32 minutes ago, line-weight said:

As far as I can tell, the attributes are "by class", for the relevant objects in my example file (attached to my earlier post).

And trying just now, I can use a class override on the object that is showing wrongly. That is, the object that's failing to show in the linetype I want for "above cut plane" objects, if I apply a class override for its class(es) to the viewport, they work.

OK, so there is a difference.  The extrude in the "extrudes" class (with it's 2D source object in the "None" class) shows with the "None" class attributes in design layers and in viewports.  However, applying a class override to the "extrudes" class does not change the extrudes attributes for the viewport.  This was the behavior I was talking about.  Overriding the "None" class attributes for the viewport does work but the same doesn't work in the Object Display Settings.  I think this is the difference you're seeing?

8 minutes ago, Matt Panzer said:

OK, so there is a difference.  The extrude in the "extrudes" class (with it's 2D source object in the "None" class) shows with the "None" class attributes in design layers and in viewports.  However, applying a class override to the "extrudes" class does not change the extrudes attributes for the viewport.  This was the behavior I was talking about.  Overriding the "None" class attributes for the viewport does work but the same doesn't work in the Object Display Settings.  I think this is the difference you're seeing?

Yes, I think this matches what I am seeing.

I think I am kind of used to the behaviour, where the 2D source object of a 3d extrude determines attributes in various view types (although this has always been a slight source of confusion). But something different happens when trying to use the "object display settings" for elements above the cut plane.

This baffled me for quite a while, and one of the first things I tried was going to that extrude and checking the source object, and making sure that its class was one of the ones I'd set to show in the dashed line style. It was but it still didn't work so I started checking my cut plane height and so on. It appears to be the case that both source & 3d object class have to match, which is somewhat unexpected behaviour because I don't think I've noticed that being necessary in other contexts.

2 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

OK, I retract this statement.  Too many things going on at the same time. 🙂 

The objects can have directly applied attributes and the Object Display overrides will still work.  There may be some technical reasons why things are the way they are but we need to look at these differences and see what we can do to make things more consistent.

• Like 1