Small issue with custom device labels

hihosilvey

It seems somewhere the scaling is getting mess up in CC2021.  I'm not sure where.  Can someone shed some light on how this works?

When I open the custom dev_label and go to edit the 2d side of things.   All my scaling is correct.  The box should be 1" wide.  When I add a device to by design, the dev_label is 3/4" wide.  

All my scaling for my design layers are 1:1.

These labels are carryovers from ones I built in CC2020.  Has something changed about how custom dev_labels are handled?

Thanks.

In Symbol.png

In Design.png

Conrad,

Also...there seems to be a change as to where my custom dev_label symbols need to stored in order to have access to them in the OIP.  I now have to add them in the connectCAD Device Labels file in Vectorworks Libraries.  

However, to make any modifications to the actual custom dev_labels, I have to change the ones inside the System Symbols project folder...

Can you walk me through how that has to work?

Thanks!

Hey @hihosilvey

In 2021, custom dev_label symbols have to live in a "Device Symbols" folder in the project to show up in the OIP, so I think you might want to move them out of the "System Symbols" folder if you're using a custom template. This is how the new default connectCAD template is setup.

Now as far as adding them to the Device Labels.vwx file in the VW application library file structure, it seems to be an interesting situation. I tried adding a custom dev_label to this file and refreshed my libraries, so I figure "it should show up in the OIP as an option now". Then opened a new project. First off, my custom dev_label didn't appear in the resource manager in either the "System Symbols" or "Device Symbols" folders...interesting. My custom dev_label did show up as an option in the OIP, but if I selected it in the dropdown, the device would not actually update in the drawing...(insert confusion). But, seeing your comment, I pulled the same custom dev_label in from a different file and added it to the "System Symbols" folder in the project and bingo, it then showed up on my device in the drawing...

So, I guess the follow-up question for Conrad would be: Are we able to add custom dev_labels to the default Device Labels file in the application folder and utilize them in our projects? This would be nice since this is standard VW procedure. I'm guessing this is supposed to work because it does work...halfway. The custom dev_label IS available in the OIP, BUT connectCAD is still looking to the "System Symbols" folder in the project for the graphical definition?

Just to confirm with what Eliiot said in the last paragraph.

The only way I could get the custom dev_labels to show up in the OIP was to add it to the default Device Labels file.  However, I could not change any graphical properties.  I can only change the graphical properties with the dev_labels in the projects System symbol folder.

In short, I have the same symbol in both places.  One to get it into the OIP, the other to be able to modify.

To follow up on my own comments...

It actually is probably better practice to put custom symbols in files in your User Folder or Workgroup Folder...that way it is not as likely that custom symbols are lost when VW/CC updates...and, added bonus, I copied the default Device Labels.vwx to my user folder and added my custom dev_label to it. CC then seemed to behave as expected, it saw my custom dev_label in the OIP, AND it applied it to my device on my drawing.

So this might be the solution you are looking for @hihosilvey

Edited by Eliot Hartzler
  • Like 1