Migrating vw2018>2021: section problems

line-weight

Question

So, I am preparing to drag myself and various drawings from VW2018 to 2021. Immediately on a test run I am seeing various problems with the way sections have imported. I'd be grateful if anyone can let me know how many of these are known problems/easy fixes:

1. Some of my sections seem to have shifted. There's nothing in the viewport, but if I crop out, I find that the section is there, outside the crop box, and rotated. Both of the sections I've found where this has happened are neither vertical nor horizontal (they are cut perpendicular to a slopnig roof pitch).

2. What were called "section-elevation markers" in VW2018 now seem to be called "section-elevation lines" and the text is displaced from the bubbles. Am I best just to redraw them? They are not linked to viewports, just ones I've drawn manually.

3. Why have all my section line thicknesses changed? I have my sections set up as "separate cross sections" and "use attributes of original objects". So, cut line thickness is determined by the class the object is in. Has something changed here? What were previously thick lines are now all thin lines. For example, I tend to use 0.35 as my "cut line" thickness but to get something looking like that it appears that I have to go and change all my class settings from 0.35 to 1.00. Why is this?

4. Does the "Zoom line thickness" toggle now work differently? If I turn it 'on' then it seems to work as predicted for things in annotations, but not for lines in the section viewport itself. For example, those lines where I've set the class attribute of the sectioned object to 1.0 ... the thickness of those lines does not zoom, whether I have "zoom line thickness" turned on or off. Is that a bug? It leaves me unable to judge what the drawing's going to look like when I convert it to PDF.

5. Anything else I should watch out for?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
45 minutes ago, line-weight said:

here you go.

The scale is weird as I've copied from annotations to a design layer, but this is it.

sectionline.vwx 134.72 kB · 1 download

Thanks for the file.  I see the problem as well and submitted a bug for it.

This seems to be an odd case and I thinking it may be due to it being flipped in the 2018 file.

• Like 1

Regarding the Zoom Line Thickness going away during pan and zoom:  This is due to the Vectorworks VGM being leveraged for faster navigation (panning and zooming).  While the VGM makes navigation much faster, it does not support Zoom Line thickness while navigating.

50 minutes ago, Matt Panzer said:

Regarding the Zoom Line Thickness going away during pan and zoom:  This is due to the Vectorworks VGM being leveraged for faster navigation (panning and zooming).  While the VGM makes navigation much faster, it does not support Zoom Line thickness while navigating.

I see, thanks for the explanation.

It would perhaps be overcomplicating things and/or not technically feasible but it would be nice if it's something the user could switch on or off. If I'm on a sheet layer with loads of viewports and complexity then I'll prioritize speed. However, if I'm on a less complex sheet layer, say an A3 sized page with just a couple of viewports, then it would be nice to keep the line thickness zoomable because it feels a bit visually jarring to me, if say, I'm looking around a sheet layer to check that everything looks right before I export it to PDF.

41 minutes ago, line-weight said:
1 hour ago, Matt Panzer said:

I see, thanks for the explanation.

It would perhaps be overcomplicating things and/or not technically feasible but it would be nice if it's something the user could switch on or off. If I'm on a sheet layer with loads of viewports and complexity then I'll prioritize speed. However, if I'm on a less complex sheet layer, say an A3 sized page with just a couple of viewports, then it would be nice to keep the line thickness zoomable because it feels a bit visually jarring to me, if say, I'm looking around a sheet layer to check that everything looks right before I export it to PDF.

Yeah.  I certainly understand the jarring issue.

It might be worth putting a request for VGM Zoom Line Thickness support (or a quick way to toggle to/from Best Performance) in the Wish List forum so it gets more attention.  We have a lot of other things going on in this thread. 😉 

2 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:
3 hours ago, line-weight said:

here you go.

The scale is weird as I've copied from annotations to a design layer, but this is it.

sectionline.vwx 134.72 kB · 1 download

Thanks for the file.  I see the problem as well and submitted a bug for it.

This seems to be an odd case and I thinking it may be due to it being flipped in the 2018 file.

OK.  It looks like the path of the Section-Elevation Marker in VW 2018 was moved from the object's origin.  You can see this by (in VW 2018) right-clicking on the object and choosing the "Edit Path" context menu command.  When in the Edit Path mode, if you select the polygon, you'll its coordinates in the Object Info palette are (3439, 0).  Changing it to (0, 0) fixes the issue.  I'm not saying you should do this because it'll shift the object in your VW 2018 file.  But, if you were to do this and save the file, the object will import correctly in VW 2021.  Now that we know this, we can look into a way to handle these cases.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Matt Panzer said:

You can see this by (in VW 2018) right-clicking on the object and choosing the "Edit Path" context menu command.

I never knew that was a thing...

I can do this when I right click the marker object where I've copied it to the design layer of a new file.

I don't seem to get that option when I right click it in its original position - in the annotations of a viewport in the original VW2018 file.

6 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:
20 hours ago, Boh said:

EDIT: On further investigation I've just realised running a custom script which renames viewports is causing section lines to lose the functionality to navigate back to the section viewport. So the above isn't quite correct. I.e. you can indeed "Create a Section Viewport" from an already drawn section line and the section lines does have the ability to navigate to the section vp. It's running the script which makes it lose this navigation function.

Can you send me a small file and the script that demonstrates this problem?

Thanks Matt. Michaelk is looking at the script (he's the orig author) see this thread. Script available for download there too if you want to delve.

Edited by Boh
1 hour ago, line-weight said:
2 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

You can see this by (in VW 2018) right-clicking on the object and choosing the "Edit Path" context menu command.

I never knew that was a thing...

I can do this when I right click the marker object where I've copied it to the design layer of a new file.

I don't seem to get that option when I right click it in its original position - in the annotations of a viewport in the original VW2018 file.

You're right!  In any case, I would advise against editing the path of that object that way - for obvious reasons. 😉 

2 hours ago, Boh said:

Thanks Matt. Michaelk is looking at the script (he's the orig author) see this thread. Script available for download there too if you want to delve.

I just submitted a bug report on this:

VB-176976:  Association lost between Section-Elevation Line and its viewport after renaming viewport via script

• Like 1