Restrict object move to one 3D direction

MHBrown

Question

In using VW2021, I can't see how to restrict movement to one of the three isometric directions when looking at the object in 3D. For example, I'm looking at a lamp that I want to move down a little bit (Z), back a little bit (Y) while looking at it in isometric 3D view. I don't need to enter any precise numbers; I just want to drag it. I remember in AutoCAD, I had three arrows to grab and drag. Is there any such thing in VW? I'm assuming that I need to hold some key combination, but I can't seem to find how do this.

Thanks for any advice.

Mike

Mac Book Pro 16"

VW 2021

9 answers to this question

Not currently possible, and frankly it's my single biggest frustration with Vectorworks.

Until they implement a 3D move widget like any modern 3D program, you might try the "Move 3D" command (cmd+opt+m) which lets you type in a length to move along particular axes.

Or if you need to do it interactively, it's a matter of clicking and dragging extremely carefully so it stays along the intended axis (which is often impossible in real files with lots of snap points). There's no axis restriction option.

• Like 2

Unbelievable. I just assumed it was me. Thank you for filling me in. I'll upvote it, but this seems like the first thing that would be required to design in 3D. I hope VW is listening. This is the type of thing that would make me not upgrade to a newer version until it was fixed (such an egregious omission is, in my view, a "bug"). Thank you, I suppose I'll stop looking for it. Now that VW is no longer a "Best Buy" bargain (but now pretty expensive) I might look at AutoCAD for Mac again. I tested it for a month and it's really not a bad piece of software once you get the hang of it. I believe it costs less than VW, too.

Best regards,

Mike

25 minutes ago, MHBrown said:

I don't need to enter any precise numbers;

Then this works really ok for me.

Maybe because I restricted my angle snap to only 90° segments.

But when I drag an Object, for me it is relatively easy to find the

Axis helper Lines.

(Ok there should not be any stronger Endpoints in the way)

But I always wished for any kind of true Locking Mechanism to a single Axis.

In the case where you want precision input, by snapping to existing points

at other objects, maybe far from my the other 2 Axes.

Edited by zoomer

I mean it is currently possible to restrict to one Axis only,

by the "T" key Lock.

But first,

to activate the lock there shouldn'tbe any other elements

near your cursor, so that you can hover over a Axis Helper Line

to activate the Lock.

(In the worst case you have to zoom out of your view to find a free area)

and second,

if you Pan and Zoom too much, it will lose/open the Locking !

And third,

we need a Lock that allows only 2 active Axis,

like for Orthogonal Views,

to prevent Geometry from unwanted jumping in the 3rd Axis,

which we can't even recognize visually.

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 1

Are you describing the "Vectorlock" feature or am I missing the issue?

Vectorlock:

If you have "snap to object" and "snap to angle" enabled, you can click and hold a 3D object by a snap point, move it in the general direction of the X,Y, or Z axis until the popup says "X", "Y", or Z" then press the "T" key to lock to axis. You can't be holding shift down (which would constrain you to an axis) when you tap the T key though. A red line activates on the axis, showing you are locked on. You can even hit tab and type in an exact number if you want then. In picture below I'm locked to the X axis:

Vectorlock.thumb.png.daeda8eba71b0425be19d67511d39c61.png

zoomer beat me to it 🙂

Edited by Eliot Hartzler
  • Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 12:49 PM, Eliot Hartzler said:

Vectorlock:

If you have "snap to object" and "snap to angle" enabled,

Eliot H

Once again Thanks - this is very good - I find that a view rendered with Open GL (Shaded) works better for me as I grab on the item anywhere... and waiting for / recognizing that dotted projection line is the skill needed before hitting the "T"  - Locks it into a single direction (with a quick look at the numbers to confirm) Even works in the "Z" up/down. - Just with the Data Bar had the "Z" dimension in it (?)

Thanks

Peter