Extruding 2D walls

lsk

I'm new to Vectorworks and have gotten it to do a lot of things I'd only dreamed of....its going to be a great tool once I figure out how to do one "simple" thing....

I can't get it to extrude a 2D wall using any of the "wall tools" on the 2D pallette. I can use the unconstrained double line and that will project and render, but none of the others do. If I draw a line with the wall tool and ask it to extrude, the extrude command is not higlighted in the pull down menu.....

What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

It's even simpler than you realize. The Wall Tools create wall objects, which differ from double lines in the following respects:1. They are hybrid objects (i.e., they exist in both 2D and 3D space simultaneously);2. They will auto-join using the Join command or by simply dragging them over each other;3. They accept the automatic insertion of symbols and other objects;4. They will by default take on the height of the layer that they are drawn on. (Take a look at the Z and Delta-Z settings in the Layers... dialog);5. The height of the wall can also be set using the Object Info palette;6. You can add "peaks" to walls using the 3D Reshape tool;7. Walls can have cavities (lines or linear fills) that reshape with the walls;

...whew! Walls are one of the very nice features of VectorWorks and require no additional extruding to exist in 3D. Welcome to the world of object-oriented design!

smile.gif" border="0 Dern...it worked! Thank you thank you thank you! Espece d'idiote! The constrained line asked me what Z I wanted, and the wall tool did not, so I figured the extrude command was the only way to get there...

Just tried it using your instructions and it worked beautifully!!!!!

I'm so happy I'm a'gonna post another one!

LSK