Andy Broomell

"Unable to delete the objects" pop-up when deleting class

Question

Every so often I encounter this pop-up when trying to delete a class, and have never really understood the context of why it sometimes appears and sometimes doesn't.

UnableToDeleteClass.thumb.png.6123cdd20bb4b700490b7c5c7a29cc2e.png

The message seems to suggest that the class is being used by a Plug-in Object, but I know this isn't the case because typically it's a class I've made myself and it hasn't been used in any special way.

Today I finally realized the circumstances that cause this pop-up: objects in that class are being cut through in a Section Viewport.

(Regarding the text of the pop-up... perhaps a Section Viewport is technically considered a PIO? But I wouldn't have assumed so).

As it stands, I doubt a typical user understands what this pop-up means or what to do about it. It should be solved in one of two ways:

1.  Make it so that you can delete these classes, and it would brute force delete the objects even if they're being cut through in the Section Viewport.

-or-

2.  Alter the pop-up to better describe why the class can't be deleted, such as specifically saying it's because of a Section Viewport.

Note that this only applies when trying to use first option shown below, not when reassigning objects to a different class which is always possible but not the goal:

Reassign.thumb.png.8f95b5b9ed16c1609754b8cce4300c88.png

VE-101608

Edited by Andy Broomell
  • Like 1

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet