smart points

Landartma

Question

9 answers to this question

35 minutes ago, Landartma said:

Thanks Andy.  Its definitely snapping to angles but my line is off at 178.32.  I just read an article and found that holding down shift will do the trick but wondering if there is a tool preference I'm missing.

Here's what it looks like when I try to draw walls perpendicular to each other. Let us know if you're experiencing something different.

• Like 1

Yea I get the same thing when I continuously click for a 90.  When I deflect from that angle and then try to go back to the 90 from the new line it doesn't work.   I'm not sure if its the angular dimension tool not snapping to the wall or if the wall is actually off.  I have tried to use the Y key to bring up the tool tips but I get nothing.  I have also tried unselecting all but the snap to object options in the snap tool bar.  Zoomer are you saying shift T?  T gave me nothing but shift T seemed to give me a red dashed reference line along the wall I want to 90 off of.  

I didn't even get the problem first.

OK, the problem is that your Building is only nearly 90°.

So Angle Snap will prefer to 90°, or smaller angles if set,

and will more disturb than help.

I set it to 90° angles only, for my rectangular work.

I think in the only about 90° case I would set a angled

custom Workplane, to profit from angle snaps.

Or even a 2D sketch/underlay, made from Rectangles

(in angled Mode) to keep my Geometry rectangular.

• Like 1

@Landartma if your building's not square to the X/Y axes then you can use 'Rotate Plan' in View Bar to rotate the page so your model's square to the axes. Then you're not having to draw walls at odd angles.

Or without doing that, if you draw the walls one at time you will be able to draw each wall square to it's predecessor. So use Polygon mode like you did in the video but click twice to end each section of wall then click again to start a new section of wall: it will work like it does in @Andy Broomell's video. If you have 'SmartCursor Cues' enabled in the SmartCursor Settings you'll get 'Perpendicular' or 'Parallel' come up so you know you're square.

• Like 1

Yea the object is a retaining wall with a folly of a New England field stone root cellar foundation extending off it.  The main wall follows the property line the extension was squared off (roughly).  The home sits on the plan square to the x&y coordinates but its not square on the lot.  What I ended up doing was to just draw a square connecting the two points on the bed corner and the wall then rotated to square with the wall and snapped it into place.  Now I'll convert the square to an object and the object to a wall