I need an architect worthy mouse

13 hours ago, _c_ said:

So now full fledged 3-buttons mouse value.

Hmmh,

I looked at the 3D Pen in the past.

So far my standard 2 button Pen feels, for me, like a full fledged 3 Button mouse.

Button 1+2 are RMB and MMB, tipping the nib is LMB.

I miss a Scroll Wheel, for those few Apps like VW, that don't offer missing-Scroll-Wheel

key+button alternatives for Zooming.

But if I would get the 3rd button, I think it would not work to enhance VW Zooming

because I already tried to assign any driver function to one of my regular 2 buttons.

And AFAIK that 3D Pen is no more compatible to my ancient 27" Cintiq (ß9

But @_c_,

what usage for the 3rd button did you have in mind ?

55 minutes ago, zoomer said:

...I think it would not work to enhance VW Zooming because I already tried to assign any driver function to one of my regular 2 buttons...

I tried this too and was frustrated that I couldn't assign zoom.

You are probably right that the 3button pen won't help in VW.

It is so unfortunate that VW requires three inputs (spacebar+ctrl+MMB) for zoom - plus they added a slight pause after the spacebar and before the ctrl key... just unnecessarily complicated.

Pan is just the MMB button.

Tumble is an easy ctrl+MMB. 

They both work seamlessly.

Sure would be nice if zoom was just a simple alt+MMB! 

It has been a while,

but I think the problem was that there is no alternate
"Zoom about Mouse Cursor".

I can get some kind of VW Zoom. But not the real Zoom

about cursor that Scroll Wheel has or that I always used

to navigate/move view in Microstation, instead of Panning.

On 7/2/2021 at 9:10 PM, zoomer said:

I miss a Scroll Wheel, for those few Apps like VW, that don't offer missing-Scroll-Wheel

key+button alternatives for Zooming.

But if I would get the 3rd button, I think it would not work to enhance VW Zooming

because I already tried to assign any driver function to one of my regular 2 buttons.

But @_c_,

what usage for the 3rd button did you have in mind ?

Like you, I also sometimes miss the scroll wheel, but not in VW, where I always used the old keys C and V for zoom in and out. It is preciser, faster than the scroll wheel and far less taxing on the graphic card. Having a third button should help assigning them.

These days I am nearly exclusively on Solibri and a third button is good there. Solibri is rather difficult as of the views, compels you to zoom in over and over again, and there is no customisation of the keys AND there are one thousand key variants for the tiniest actions. 

14 hours ago, _c_ said:

I also sometimes miss the scroll wheel, but not in VW, where I always used the old keys C and V for zoom in and out.

Tried C and V.

Does other strange things for me.

I see SHIFT + C, V, W brings Flyover or some ancient Pan and Rotate View Tools.

Zoom Tool in second, interactive Mode does what I want :

Zoom center about Cursor.

But it is no boomerang.

Wasn't there any key combination for a temporary Zoom (not about Cursor),

I don't find it anymore ....

If you map zoom in to C and zoom out to V, then you can either

• double-c or double-v --> you zoom by factor, I think OR
  • draw a marquee which will be zoomed in/out, if the first mode is activated

that's the mode I prefer. It brings you just the right zoom on the right object.

Edited by _c_
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, _c_ said:

draw a marquee which will be zoomed in/out, if the first mode is activated

A problem with the "c-mode-zooming" appears when you already have made the selection of an object and chosen a tool, for example:

- select an object

- pick rotate tool (for example)

- set first rotation point

and now you want make a precise selection for the rotation end point and need to zoom in our out to find it.

=> no chance to do this without a scroll wheel.

Similar with move by points and other "two-click-tools".

This is insane. I bought the new Wacom Intuos Pro tablet: it turns even Windows into an iPad 😍: it's a touch pad!

I will buy the new 3D pen soon, it wasn't immediately available, let's see how it works.

Edited by _c_
clarify scattered thoughts
8 hours ago, _c_ said:

This is insane. I bought the new Wacom Intuos Pro tablet: it turns even Windows into an iPad 😍: it's a touch pad!

I will buy the new 3D pen soon, it wasn't immediately available, let's see how it works.

I’m surprised there is a still a market for pen tablets after the development of pen displays.  Or, you can just use an ipad as your graphics tablet for Windows and draw directly in your apps onscreen.  Has been working great on the Mac for years and is now available in windows.

Ciao Jeff, no. The wacom is more than Ipad + pen, even if the new apple pen 2 does have a very high quality. The size of the display is very large, the customisation nearly boundless. I could go on.

Yes, it is plain luxus, but whatever...

Edited by _c_
  • 1 year later...

I recently got the Logitech MX Master 3S for Mac and am very happy with it so far.  I also purchased the MX Keys for Mac keyboard (after pouring a cup of coffee on my Apple extended keyboard) and really like it as well.  I've customized a few features for VW and plan on fine tuning later.

If anyone wants to make an offer on barely-used wireless 3dConnexion Spacemouse Compact & Cadmouse (Pro?  I'll need to check), let me know.

• 11 months later...

I use the 12-button Razer Naga Trinity with Steermouse. 

There's an issue with VW 2024.

For example I assign "X" to button 1. 

Problem with VW 2024, the "X" was ignored, button 1 stayed "1". 

Solution: Assign keystroke "X" twice (view image)

Schermafbeelding 2024-01-26 om 13.35.17.png

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

This thread has been going on for a while. I have a new toy to add to the discussion. The Shuttle Pro V.2. from Contour Design. You can find it on Amazon. I am going to get one to try out. It is a lot less expensive than anything from 3DConnexion. It's best to use SteerMouse on macOS. I can't help Windows users.

The Shuttle Pro V.2.jpg

I just received it. The only two things I can say now are that it weighed less than I expected, but it did not move around while I played with it. The second is that SteerMouse recognizes all the buttons, and the jog wheel and spinner speed can be adjusted. Some cute stickers for the keys come with it. They look cheap and may not be easily replaced. We will see.

I have a small design project I can use it on. I now need to work on a different, non-drafting project with a deadline.

I should have an update tomorrow.