I need an architect worthy mouse

Ray,

You have opened a can of worms. There are many mice that may work, but finding one that may work for you can be tricky.

I explored many gaming mice, (more buttons) before landing on two. The Logitech G700s work particularly well on my Mac (Big Sur), but just doesn’t have enough buttons for CAD work.

I then found the Razer Nagra Trinity. Here things get complicated. The mouse has three replaceable button panels. The two button panel works fine for general non-CAD work, but has two too few buttons. I can use it day to day, but I like the Logitech better.

I used the circular panel with seen button. Loved it until VW2021, then I went wild.

The twelve button panel is the bomb. Yes, it takes time to get the buttons the way you want and then manage the muscle memory, but having twelve to fourteen buttons available really speeds up the work flow.

I keep both connected and just grab the one I need for what I am doing. There is almost no lag switching, because I only use the Razr for Vectorworks.

On a Mac you need SteerMouse for either brand to assign buttons for various apps. On Windows you have to use either the Logitech software or the Razor software. I have not heard good things about them for CAD work but you can control the colors on the Razer if that a matters too you.

I also have a 3DConnexion Navigator. It is rather handy, but the beta driver on Big Sur is still buggy.

PM me if you have questions.

Thanks,

Ron

81xeyiadbaL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Edited by RonMan
Added image of the Mouse
  • Like 2

The original Logitech MX was a favorited until is stopped working and they stopped supporting it. The Master 3 is good if you don't want a lot of buttons. I love shortcuts, so for me the more buttons the better. If my hand can never leave the mouse, I am so much faster, and I don't have to memorize all the shortcuts.

Good mouse.

I have been using the 3D Connexion CADMouse Pro for a little over a year.  It has a lot of different connection options (wired, wireless w/ dongle, Bluetooth), and has a dedicated middle-mouse button for easy panning.  It's also pretty easy to customize with the software recognizing VW views.  I have one button set up to bring up an 8-segment "wheel" to quickly change views, one button set as CTRL for quick fly-over and copy commands, and the scroll wheel button set to Fit View.  It also has a really nice weight to it, and comes with a carrying case to boot.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity us anyone tried a track ball such as the Kensington Expert Trackball? Over the years I have grown to appreciate the long session arm/hand comfort, 4 customizable buttons that work individually or in combination and programmable tracking/scrolling speeds that has proven ideal for my limited desk space. Works very well with my many photo editing apps as well. 🤔

I used to own the KET. I loved it, but not for graphics. Back then I used in with FreeHand and Illustrator. My fingers got tired when working on fine details. 

If you use it for VW, and it works, then good for you. You have a solution. The problem is all solutions are rather personal, but the more we put out there the better for the young person that started this thread.

@RGyori

Once you go track, you never go back 🙂

I've been using Logitech thumb track balls for 20 some years after suffering some mouse induced RSI in my elbow.

The MX Ergo is the best I've ever used and I always recommend it.  The tilting base makes it comfortable and precision mode button slows down the cursor movement for the times you need ultra fine control...Like editing photos when you misplace your apple pencil 🙂

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/mice/mx-ergo-wireless-trackball-mouse.html?crid=7

• Like 3

While on Mac I am overly happy with an Apple mouse and a large Wacom Intuos Tablet, on Windows I use a very old gamer mouse, a Rat Catz 3.

And absolutely adore it.

It couldn't be any less lady-like, so hide it if you have to pretend being a serious Italian lady architect.

It won't do.

Unknown.thumb.jpeg.0f483749c16d00f5bf472d05e7d6fa20.jpeg

• Like 3

I have a 3dconnexion spacemouse pro and having got used to it, couldn't now survive without it. Strongly recommend one of these if you do stuff in 3d.

That's in my left hand and in my right is a fairly basic logitech mouse which does the job fine. It's got more buttons but I really only use left/right click and the scroll wheel.

1 hour ago, _c_ said:

While on Mac I am overly happy with an Apple mouse and a large Wacom Intuos Tablet, on Windows I use a very old gamer mouse, a Rat Catz 3.

And absolutely adore it.

It couldn't be any less lady-like, so hide it if you have to pretend being a serious Italian lady architect.

It won't do.

Unknown.thumb.jpeg.0f483749c16d00f5bf472d05e7d6fa20.jpeg

I have MadCatz RAT 5

It doesn't really fit my hands in any Palm Rest Setup.

But weight and any Buttons click feel is like holding a Mercedes.

Sensor is super precise too.

In comparison my CADMouse USB, although double the cost,

feels cheap 🙂

Unfortunately, for any reasons it does not work on Mac like any

standard Mouse, when without a driver (CADMouse dito).

And the latest driver worked only until OS X 10.9 or so.

After short time of usage on Mac, it will prevent macOS from expanding

any Menu Entry Hierarchies automatically, when hovering over.

You have to explicitely click to make the Menus expand.

And AFAIK there are some GUI objects where even that does not work.

Pity.

But it works still perfectly, without special driver, for Linux and Windows !

I love it.

I just miss being able to assign "X/ESC" and "Fit View" to my side buttons,

without a driver, which I am used to have for any other Mouse and CAD App.

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 1

If deciding upon a Razer product your selection will need to be recognized by their synapse 2 software to work on the Mac.

When I received a new Death Adder to go with the new company issued PC I was going to let it go to the Jr Tech who was to work on my former Mac workstation and retain my old (dirty) DeathAdder for myself. But the Synapse 2 software required for the Mac could not find the new budget version of DeathAdder.

The large ergonomics of the Death Adder have been a big plus for me and assigning the thumb buttons to switch sheets/layers a feature that I could not imagine doing without anymore, whether it be on a PC or a Mac.

But I will say that one of the Naga's will be worth testing out, especially if you are considering operating from a PC. The placement of <CTRL> and <ALT> on most PC keyboards makes it next to impossible to use many frequent short-cuts with one hand without incurring repetitive stress injury from stretching one's fingers too far apart. One might (?) be able to assign some thumb buttons to act as modifier keys and definitely the <ESC> key. Every time you modify something in the Object Info Palette on a PC you need to press <ESC> or click in the main window before the other keyboard shortcuts become available. The menu system does not respond to changes while the object info palette is active. This behaviour might be limited to shortcuts where a modifier key is not required.

• Like 1
On 2/16/2021 at 7:11 AM, drelARCH said:

Interesting to hear @Christiaan I wonder how you use magic mouse to perform zooming, panning...? I couldn't do it without mouse wheel..but curious how you manage without wheel.

Zooming is the main reason I love it. It's smooth and precise. I tried a CadMouse once and wanted to love it but the whole mechanical clicking thing with the scroll wheel did my head in. It felt like driving an old double-decker Routemaster bus after jumping out of a Tesla. With the Magic Mouse my zooming is very precise about where I stop. The CadMouse would routinely drive past the point I wanted to stop because I hadn't finished a mechanical click! There was a whole discussion about this at the time I purchased it (which I linked to from here) but that whole thread is missing in action for some reason.

Panning I miss, but not hugely; I just use the Space bar. There are third party apps like MagicPrefs and Middle that will add the third button touch capability, and subsequent panning capability. I used to use MagicPrefs but never reinstalled it when I did a system reinstall a while back. This discussion actually prompted me to give Middle a try and it's great. It allows you set to a 1-finger middle click, two-finger click, or a 3-finger click for middle mouse button. I already have secondary click set in Apple prefs and I'm used to resting my third finger near the edge of the mouse so the 3-finger click works really great for me for panning in VW.

The other wee problem with the Magic Mouse is its side-scrolling capability. This can be an annoyance in the Nav Palette when it scrolls sideways even though you didn't want to. I have a wish list item in for this to have an option to turn off sideways scrolling in the Palettes for this reason.

P.S. I also have a 3DConnexion Space Navigator. It's great but the drivers are so often out of date when I come to actually wanting to use it.

Edited by Christiaan
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, LarryO said:

If deciding upon a Razer product your selection will need to be recognized by their synapse 2 software to work on the Mac.

When I received a new Death Adder to go with the new company issued PC I was going to let it go to the Jr Tech who was to work on my former Mac workstation and retain my old (dirty) DeathAdder for myself. But the Synapse 2 software required for the Mac could not find the new budget version of DeathAdder.

The large ergonomics of the Death Adder have been a big plus for me and assigning the thumb buttons to switch sheets/layers a feature that I could not imagine doing without anymore, whether it be on a PC or a Mac.

But I will say that one of the Naga's will be worth testing out, especially if you are considering operating from a PC. The placement of <CTRL> and <ALT> on most PC keyboards makes it next to impossible to use many frequent short-cuts with one hand without incurring repetitive stress injury from stretching one's fingers too far apart. One might (?) be able to assign some thumb buttons to act as modifier keys and definitely the <ESC> key. Every time you modify something in the Object Info Palette on a PC you need to press <ESC> or click in the main window before the other keyboard shortcuts become available. The menu system does not respond to changes while the object info palette is active. This behaviour might be limited to shortcuts where a modifier key is not required.

On a Mac use SteerMouse to program everything but the color changing. The Synapse 2 software will leave you frustrated. S2 works great on Windows.