Cloud Services and OneDrive Integration

Kevin C

Question

Is there any reason why Vectorworks Cloud Services only allows integration with Google Drive and Dropbox? More and more users are utilising many other online sharing platforms (specifically in the current working from home situation) such as Microsoft OneDrive and Box as well as a myriad of others.

Does VW have an arrangement with Google and Dropbox, or is it just another one of those things that no-one has thought might be useful to the users?

• Like 4

13 answers to this question

On 2/13/2021 at 2:05 PM, Kevin C said:

Does VW have an arrangement with Google and Dropbox, or is it just another one of those things that no-one has thought might be useful to the users?

It's neither. It's definitely on their radar. I believe they've implemented each service based on interest. Dropbox and Google were simply the most requested early on.

A good way to put your vote in for your preferred service is to contact the team directly via the little settings button on the top of the Nomad app, then tapping "Feedback."

Edited by Christiaan

I think what has happened during the pandemic is that businesses (mine anyway) have started to look realistically at multiple backup  and redundancy solutions.  The simple fact of a computer breaking down and being able to re-configure remotely or dealing with a server / internet disconnect is getting more and more complicated and unfortunately happening more often.

A great number of businesses are using Microsoft exchange and Office 365 for their email and 'Teams' communication and it's just that you get a very competent online storage and file sharing facility as part of the basic package.

My practice operates 100% Mac and we use OneDrive - seamlessly, It was just a thought.

we use oneDrive in one of our projects and are quite unsatisfied. Project Sharing only works for one user contemporarily. The second user can't commit any changes at all.

Looking forward to check Vectorworks Cloud Services. If VCS doesn't work we'll think about some plus Abonnements for Dropbox... maybe...

One Drive is pretty good, it's just that you have to do quite a few workarounds to make it work properly with VW.

We don't use Project Sharing - Tried to implement a few times over the past two or three years, but found it extremely unreliable and when pairing it with the continual instability of VW, it is just not worth the trouble.

Within our NAS server I have synced OneDrive for Business to the Projects folder which means that everyone accesses the projects through project shares on One Drive and it writes back to the server.  This seems to work quite well, but it is dependent on everyone's internet connection (still all working from home). The frequency of syncing can be changed to suit; by default on a Synology NAS it is 600 seconds - I have changed it to 60 seconds, which means that file locks etc. are usually pretty well up to date and we haven't had more than a handful of conflicts in total.

3 hours ago, Kevin C said:

One Drive is pretty good, it's just that you have to do quite a few workarounds to make it work properly with VW.

We don't use Project Sharing - Tried to implement a few times over the past two or three years, but found it extremely unreliable and when pairing it with the continual instability of VW, it is just not worth the trouble.

Our experience is the other way around. OneDrive is the unstable one. We've used Project Sharing with Dropbox and Resilio and they're solid. Permissions and user login is a nightmare for OneDrive too.

Edited by Christiaan
  • Like 1

@Christiaan I tried Resilio as well and was a little unsatisfied. However for reasonable reasons 😉 the worse the home Internet-connection from your home-office-teammates, the worse the transfer-rate in resilio. I'm quite curious on Vectorworks Cloud Services... Although i'm not giving myself too much hope in it. My actual favorite is dropbox. Somehow I would prefer a European Cloud, anyway 😉

2 minutes ago, matteoluigi said:

@Christiaan I tried Resilio as well and was a little unsatisfied. However for reasonable reasons 😉 the worse the home Internet-connection from your home-office-teammates, the worse the transfer-rate in resilio.

Ah yes, that's true, you all need to be on very fast connection to make Resilio work well. It works really well if you do. Dropbox is miles ahead of everybody else. The only annoyance for us with Dropbox is that many corporates block use of it, including one of main clients, so we can't have a shared folder with them.

• Like 1

@Christiaan did you ever make the experience, that one of your colleagues sent changes to the project file in his local dropbox folder, shut his computer down to fast and suddenly on the day after everything got messed up?

We did make this experience this morning. I'm sure, that one of my colleagues sent changes, shut down her Computer and the changed project file "didn't reach dropbox". So my other colleague suddenly got problems by committing and "accepting" changes, we wrote a new project file (because I didn't imagine that something like that could have been happened) and suddenly this morning there appeared a file called "SWA (Julia Brinkmanns in Konflikt stehende Kopie 2021-03-24).vwxp" in the dropbox folder.

The result will be a copy and paste orgy to achieve that all changes she made reach the dropbox file...

Somehow dropbox-Integration should mean, that Vectorworks should be able to check, that the vwxp-file also has been uploaded, somehow...