Edit Filet Radius

I would like to change the filet on the four curved corners of an extrude along path object. In the first picture the blue lines show how I would like to "open up" the filet. The second shows how the filet tool tapers the radius out to a point, and the third shows the section as it flares to a horizontal line. Because there is no "material" left to radius where it flares out to a point, the filet tool appears to be calculating the geometry correctly so I am thinking the filet tool is not the one to use, or that perhaps an extrude along path object is not correct either. The resulting object needs to be very accurate (for tooling purposes) with regards to the section and top/bottom dims as well. Could I build the same object as a subdivision and then adjust the corner filet per the blue lines in picture One? Or is there another tool / way to adjust the corner radius as desired? 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you -Everett

Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 4.07.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 4.08.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 3.59.16 PM.png

I tried to find another solution but I think you would have to custom build it out of NURBS pieces. I also tried it in Rhino where it became clear why it doesn't work. I think the fillet tool uses the idea of a "rolling ball". Here's an image illustrating what I mean. You can see how it would be difficult to resolve it at the one corner, which is why it comes to a point instead.

There may be someone with a solution ( @Benson Shaw?). If its any consolation Rhino can't do it either.

Kevin

Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 3.04.49 PM.png

• Like 1

Hi Kevin, Thanks so much for giving it a close look. I discovered the same as you with the filet tool. I even built the same "noodle" as you and tried to add it in.... No luck. Very interesting to learn the Rhino can't do it other... That actually is some consolation!

I truly appreciate your advice and may just reach out to Benson if my VW training session doesn't yield any results. 

Thanks again -Everett

• Like 1

OK, wrest me out of hibernation!

Here is one possible solution.  First step is to pull apart the EAP into an upper and lower profiles.

Later, the lower EAP one can be filleted to match the edges of the upper shape.

My example uses same radius for both ends of the fillet, but they could be different.

Is final use to guide CNC?  Not sure what happens if a surface is covering a void. That void could be filled, but not explaining that here.

Repeat process at each corner.

This is one of many possible solutions. (think what could be done with sand paper and a rasp!)

-B

image.thumb.png.5cc81d74c78313f37c98b5840115b6c5.png

CornerFillet v2021.vwx

Edited by Benson Shaw
Always something left out
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, Benson Shaw said:

OK, wrest me out of hibernation!

Here is one possible solution.  First step is to pull apart the EAP into an upper and lower profiles.

Later, the lower EAP one can be filleted to match the edges of the upper shape.

My example uses same radius for both ends of the fillet, but they could be different.

@Benson Shaw I knew you'd have a simple, clear approach!

Kevin

Hi Ben and Kevin, Everything you told me to do worked really well until I tried to put a 2m radius on the bottom edge. (see screen shots attached) When I do this, the extracted edges do not connect and I can't fill in that little gap you can see just above the Corner Extrude. Even when I extrude it higher that section gets full of lines and the Nurbs don't touch each other and won't create a surface for me.... Any suggestions?

I attached the VW file as well as a few screen shots if you want to have a look. I would be super appreciative of a tiny bit more advice.

Thank you very much! -Everett

Corner raduis.png

Corner Radius 2.png

Corner Raduis 3.png

Corner Raudius Trial.vwx

Here's a refinement using a cutting volume. It's on a separate Design Layer.

No need to separate the two EAP profiles.

Fillet the edge (top edge in my sample) after the corner subtractions.

Looks like you are getting there! I hope that corner surface is correct shape - tangent to the surrounds as envisioned.

HTH

-B

image.thumb.png.274fa0bc0e324ef87cba9a2cb57d4842.png

CornerFillet 2 v2021.vwx

Edited by Benson Shaw
tested a Fillet Edge. Worked!
  • Like 2

I think, prior to rounding the miter joint, the EAP should not have any edge fillets, probably not even the outer point corners. 

Then, the extrude needs to be moved and it's extrude depth increased so that it cuts the unfilleted edges.

The extrude does not pass exactly through the arc ends of the outer corner.

Maybe that's a problem caused by prior filleting of edges and corners? 

Having looked at your file, I think maybe a cutting volume might be the better approach. Let the cutter round over the entire miter, including those outside pointy corners.

Post back if things are not going where you want.

-B

image.thumb.png.8dd8f056fd0a4cfb794a7e122563523e.png

• Like 1

@ebramhall The cutting volume is that shape/volume I described in my 2nd post. That is only my name for it. Sorry if it seemed like an item in the tool palette!  The new volume is used to cut away the unwanted portions of the miter. Look at the new design layer in my revised file.

My third post was a renewed effot to make this work with your filleted EAP, but too much is uncertain if the EAP has fillets.  I really think you should start over. Work as described in my 2nd post.

Recreate your EAP, but no fillets. Extract the cove surfaces at one corner and split them as shown to establish (extract) edges.  After you have the edges, delete those extracted surfaces. Snap NURBS versions of R1,R2 to the ends of the new edges. Use Create Surface from Curves to create a NURBS surface.  Shell the surface. Extend both ends of this shell by extracting then shelling the ends, plus make another shell from one face of the extension at miter pointy end  (up? Down? Depends on orientation of the EAP). This extra one envelopes the outer point of the miter. Add Solid the 4 shells to create a volume which can cut the EAP corner via solid subtract. 

ok post more if this is not working. The forum is here to help!

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
Details
  • Like 2

Hi Ben, Your second idea was right on! I was able to build the item following your very detailed and helpful instructions. Thank you so much! Check it out in the picks below. Now I have to repeat the process over dozens of additional items. Hopefully they will all cooperate.

Thanks again Ben and Kevin -Everett

PS: one last question. When I subtract the solid interior volume with all the curves, (I built that as a positive volume to subtract from the outer shape that you've helped me with) I then radius the wavy edges of that interior surface and the object turns into a grouped Fillet. When I try to edit it, I have to ungroup it at which point the wavy radius disappears.... any thought on that one? 

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 11.11.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 11.45.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 11.48.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 10.50.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 10.52.12 PM.png

• Like 1

@ebramhall Oh! looks great! Glad it’s working for you. 

Some ideas for edit workflow:

1.    Create the frame as two objects so that the wavy interior is a separate unit. The ungroup process to edit fillets then only affects limited edges. Requires cutting a corresponding shape from the outer frame. When edits complete, duplicate the two parts and add solids. When totally satisfied, convert a copy to Generic Solid. 

2.  Save a version of the whole solid subtraction in its status prior to filleting. For edits, work on a duplicate of the saved one. When edits complete, redo all the fillets. 

3. Combo of above? Note that each saved status can be same position on a separate design layer. Or can be saved as a symbol - name to indicate status. Or can be moved a known distance from previous status. Process can be saved as a template file if needed for similar objects. 

4.  Save status copies at some of the critical steps, and make a duplicate of the final fillet object. Convert the duplicate to Generic Solid. You loose the history, but this solid can be used in new solid adds/subtracts, which might be easier in any future edits.

Critique these ideas and post back with problems. You say dozens of similar items? The hive mind should be able to come up with a useful workflow once we understand the choke points. 

-B