"annotating on the design layer vs in the viewport annotation space"

Often (very often) I create preliminary drawings at 1/8 or 3/16 scale. Since you can’t scale the text and markers annotated in VPs it seems more cumbersome to annotate in VPs instead of on DLs. It seems I either have to create 2 separate sets of notes (room labels, callouts), or have to do a lot of tweaking to scale/reset/reposition those notes. And, in my template I’ll have 1/8 scale VPs and 1/4 scale VPs already set up so the text and marker scales view correctly immediately if I place them once on the DL.

I know. The topic is an old one, and I seem to recall seeing numerous posts over the years (the title of this post is a quote from one thread from 5 years ago I found this AM), but I haven't read them all and don't have the time to search through all of them. The topic has now become relevant since I decided to look at switching from my method of annotating on the DL (for plans, anyway—dims, notes, etc.) to all annotations in the VPs.

Knowing this is an old topic and not wanting to put anyone out with new answers here,* can anyone link me to the best thread or threads which summarize the pros and cons of the two main approaches? Or, is there now a "best practices" approach which has evolved since that 2016 post I read? A link to something which explains it?

Thanks!

* But feel free to take the time if that floats your boat.