Problem to tag plant objects or groups of plants in viewport with data tag.

Edgar RAMEL

Hello,

I have a problem with using the data label tool in Viewports to correctly place a data label in the center of plant objects.

Indeed, if in the object space, it works well, in the Viewports, the selection area of the plant object to be labeled is much larger than the plant and overlaps the other objects.

As a result, with the overlapping of the selection areas that overlap too much, one cannot select the right occurrence of the plant (or group of plants) to label.

Small precision: to select overlapping objects in the object space, I use the "X-ray" key, but in the viewport, this doesn't solve the problem... and by placing a main 2D point, it makes things a little easier and reduces the problem, but in some cases it is still impossible to label the center of a plant correctly.

To be precise : the problem occurs when labeling plant objects in the viewport, and that with classic 2D symbols this does not happen.

Attached are two videos and screenshots showing :

1) The labeling of plants in the object space. It works correctly ;

1975553353_(1)Zonesurbrillanceslectiongroupeplantesdansespaceobjet.thumb.png.03e9b3ca0ee8260631f409c2bab5ab23.png

2) The labeling of plants in the Viewport space. Correct selection area for classic objects and but too large or extended for plant objects.

228464000_(2)Zonesurbrillanceslectiongroupeplantesdansviewport.thumb.png.39d0fda12fc130a1444107bcd6e26802.png

Is there a setting to do with the plant object or with the viewport?

Waiting for a solution please.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards.
Edgar

Bug Etiquettes Plantes Viewport.vwx

Hello everyone,

I'll be back to update you on the issue I raised in this post.

It did not elicit any reaction or response, but here is what I found on my side with the VSS service of VectorWorks France Designexpress.

Thanks to Nawal Benhamza for his research and video link .

If I understood well, it is the insertion of plants in view mode "2D Plane rotated" here at 16.76...° that poses problems (see screenshot).

1264296086_Capturedcran2021-02-18115812.thumb.png.175bb06a92a5964e78cbebc2862aa339.png

If you insert the plant objects in a 2D view without rotation, it would be OK...

But if we use the random rotation features of the plant objects, the problem still occurs 😪 and using the plant tool without random rotation, is not an option...

Therefore, the software should take into account the specificity of the rotation of objects in the object space for labeling in viewports, so that their Bounding box is not too big.

For the moment, I will manage this, but if the developers could find a solution to this it would be good, because it is not possible to work and draw plans without 2D view rotation, nor random plant mode.

Kind regards.
Edgar

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

I have this same, incredibly frustrating issue. The labels automatically generated in design space are associated with each plant in a grouping and leaders are able to be moved within a grouping without issue but, in viewport data tags, the leaders connect to a huge box that can extend far beyond my grouping and make it nearly impossible to move leaders within a group without the label changing to another grouping--making labeling in the viewport useless to me. Please resolve and reply.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Unfortunately a few months and SP version later the problem persists ... too much work on other more important points for the developers? And it's the same on other reported bugs that have been hanging around since V.2020 ... If, I took that long to resolve the issues reported by my customers, I wouldn't have any more. 😥

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I have found this very frustrating in the past, but I seem to have bumped into a solution - by chance, producing another planting plan for a project.

Here's what I do:

1. Annotate the plants and Landscape Areas that are easy/ unobscured first.

2. Use the Select Eligible Objects Data Tag mode (image.png.bc2e456716a9fbf0c8cb4d029d30b3ee.png)  to attach tags to the [obscured] rest of plants/ LAs automatically.

3. I align leaders to arrange them neatly and consistently.

If the leader arrow/ dot is not pointing clearly to the right plant or area, do the following:

1. Draw a line (horizontal or vertical or free form, doesn't matter) across the plant or LA you want to move your arrow/ dot to. This line will be used to anchor the arrow/ dot of your DT leader.

2. Move your arrow/ dot to make sure it snaps to that line. Sometimes, you may still see a bounding box of a wrong plant or LA reacting, but ignore it, move your cursor along that line and only release your mouse button (i.e. confirm your choice) when no bounding box shows. 

It works for me and I hope I described it in an understandable way to help you.

It may work, but you will agree it's rather tedious. Let's join forces and make a coordinated feedback to VW that this has to change and they need to review and improve performance of Data Tags, especially in the Annotation Mode. Their Roadmap site is allegedly the best place to do that.

image.png

• Like 3