Producing 3dcurved banks

Lynda

Not sure who this jenks fellow is but could also make a 3D nurbs curve that curls and rises (3D reshape and then lift the last control point in the Z) and then with a profile of the bank created select both and use the extrude along path tool that also allows for scaling....

I'm trying to produce 'Charles Jencks' style curved earth works. The bank is to swirl counter clockwise, whilst tapering to the top. I have managed to produce a few samples using interpolated surfaces but am unable to produce the eact shape that I want. Ultimately, there are to be a number of banks interconnected so i need to get the hang of this!

I have drawn the shapes in 2d but have been unable to extrude them in to the 3D shapes that I want to use.

Any ideas please or can someone point me towards some good 3d tutorials for garden designers?

I'm using VW 11.01 on PC Windows 2000 Professional. I'm from a graphics background so am used to Adobe software and coreldraw - the different terminology can be confusing.

Thanks in anticipation [Frown]

Thanks for you're input. I'm investigating further but still feel somewhat out of my depth. i feel that there must be someway to pull the points to where I want them! Am trying your suggections.

main thing I can't get my head around is tapering in more than one direction whilst curving at the same time (bit like the curve of a cats back when curled asleep!)As this is ultimately an earthwork it needs to be attached to the ground plane.

I'd include a pic if I could work out how!

Lynda

• 3 weeks later...

I managed to create my curved banks by lofting from two nurbs curves. I had to create the main shape from a polyline, convert to nurbs, copy and reshape the copy for the second contour. I then positioned this above the first nurbs curve and tweeked the z height of the end vertices to create a gentle slope. I then lofted between the two.

had some strange results but have now achieved soemthing like I want. However, i've just realised that only one end of the object is solid and I have an open top surface! How do I close this surface?

I've tried again ensuring that create solid is checked but am getting the same result. I don't mind the base being open but having a bank that has an open top is pretty useless!

Any ideas please?

I hope to put my results on to a web page when I have a spare minute or three. Lynda

I've now tried using creat planar caps to add a 'top' to my banks. It almost works but the ends of the 'cap' do not taper down with the gradient of the top surface. Looks fine from above but very strange in other views. Also, what happens when I want to produce a cross section if my bank isn't solid after all?

• 5 weeks later...

I've now ditched my first attempts and have resorted to created the curved banks using the dtm. Created contours from 2d polys then the dtm. Time consuming but a smoother looking result. I'm hoping I can now apply a texture bed (or similar?) to render the area. (I have Renderworks). Only problem - the dtm takes ages to process and update with lots of crashes in between.

I'm using 11.5 on Windows 2000 professional v. 5

I have to admit I haven't created a DTM since moving to 11.5, but one thing to make sure on, when you say polys, are your referring to polygons or polylines? Polylines will bring your machine to its knees. Polygons, no matter how tightly spaced the vertices, are far more manageable.