Material Color resets to default

Total newbie question (Vision 2021 up to date):

I'm just starting to play around with Vision and I'm confused by the material property.  I make a primitive shape (sphere, box, etc).  I then set the material color from its default minty green to something else (say red).  I make sure its entered and navigate out of the field.  When I then select another object and then reselect that shape, it has reset its color back to default minty green.  Is there some kind of override I'm missing?  Like is it tied to another parameter I need to free myself from? 

I'm trying to set up a very simple tutorial for myself without having to bring in a model etc.

Thanks.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
17 minutes ago, Dan Scully said:

I'm trying to set up a very simple tutorial for myself without having to bring in a model etc.

I would highly recommend checking out some of the demo documents provided with Vision for playing around with the new version and getting familiar with new features! We tried to provide a variety of examples with various settings/features. We've also included a DMX Recording that you can play back to see what a show might look like. (Do keep in mind that you may need to adjust some settings in order to get a good balance between performance and quality.)

We've made a somewhat conscious effort to ensure that Vision first and foremost is fast at rendering lights in real time, that it look of a sufficient quality, and that necessary protocols are (such as NDI) are supported. Unfortunately, this means that Vision's modeling tools and features can be lacking. You've likely found a bug with our sphere/box/cylinder tools. I can take a look at these tools in the code and see if we can figure out what is happening.

Where Vision really shines is when working with MVR, which is generally exported out of a program more centered around modeling such as Vectorworks. If playing around with the demo files provided with Vision is not helpful, please let us know! We can try to improve them in the future. In the meantime, my suggestion would be to try to bring some simple models into Vision via 3DS/OBJ/MVR. You can use Vectorworks to generate an MVR/3DS/OBJ, but you can also find sample 3DS/OBJ files online. (Vision unofficially supports more formats, but you will have to try them out and see if they work for you or not as we have not performed enough testing to officially endorse these other formats.)

I hope this helps!