Pasting VW Symbols - Plane Issue

Nick London

Question

Hi there,

Apologies if posted elsewhere, I couldn't find a post on this but in VW 2021, I'm using some of the VW library symbols for a bath room layout and when pasting into different drawings, it returns the 3D element of the symbol back to zero (i.e sitting on the floor) which makes it hard moving layouts to different plans.

For example if moving a bathroom set up to a new drawing, the taps, sink and any wall mounted elements are returned to the zero plane so while it looks correct in plan, the model needs to be adjusted for every single item and every time it's moved into a new file. Does anyone who how to fix this? If I change the symbol into a group then it's fine and it pastes with the position info, but at the sacrifice of it being a symbol which is useful.

Any help appreciated! thanks,

Nick

(I'm on a MacBook Pro 13-inch, M1, 2020, running Big Sur 11.1)

5 answers to this question

Yeah, paste in place only pastes in place in plan view.

I'm usually moving as part of groups too, with other non-symbols (i.e a cabinet I've modelled, with VW sinks and taps above). Whether they are in groups or pasted separately, they paste in the same place in plan view, but from the side, the taps and basin are on the floor. Easy to rectify in one model, but when it's being copied over and there are multiple symbols it takes time.

• Like 1

When you say 'paste' the symbol in a new document do you literally mean Paste as in copy + paste, or do you mean you are inserting the symbol in the new document? Because if you have an instance of a symbol in one document + you change its Z height, then copy + paste it into a new document, that instance of the symbol in the new document will retain the changed Z height. But if you are importing the symbol definition into the new document then inserting it into the drawing from the resource manager, the Z height of the symbol will be as per the symbol definition i.e. the original Z height.

If you have symbols that you know you want to come in at a certain Z height every time you use them then you should change their insertion height in the symbol definition.

Or if it's literally the whole bathroom exactly as it is you're waiting to place in multiple different drawings you could make the whole layout into a symbol

Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick

• Like 1

Found the reason

Check out the Symbol insertion options for the symbols. Are they set to be Story aware? If they are, then when you paste to a new document, the story or whatever criteria that it is looking for is not present in the new document and therefore defaults to the "Ground" plane.

I am surprised that Vectorworks have added such specific criteria to some of their Architectural symbols....

• Like 2

Thanks for your replies, the difference does seem to be if it's a VW symbol.

When creating hybrid symbols from scratch, I've never needed to give it an insertion height as I usually position the symbol in one file and then it copies and pastes into the same  Z height in all files. If it's a VW architectural symbol I see in the object info box there's a drop down named 'Z-Ref' and by default it's set to "Finish Floor (doesn't exist)"

Changing this to "Layer Elevation" on each symbol allows it to be pasted in and keep the height it was copied in from. You don't seem to be able to change it back to  "Finish Floor (doesn't exist)" weirdly once changed off this though.

Thanks again!