Jump to content

Put a "Scale bar tool" inside a "title block border tool"


Recommended Posts

Hello,


I don't know if anyone can tell me, but I'm looking for the possibility to insert inside a title block created with the "title block border" tool a graphic scale bar created with the "scale bar" tool.


Like what happens for the North arrow.


But of course by having a "scale bar" that adapts to the scale of the plan/viewport concerned by the title block.


I don't know if I have been clear enough, don't hesitate to ask me if I need more explanations about what I'm looking for.


Thank you in advance.


Edgar RAMEL

Link to comment
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @Edgar RAMEL,

 

You can put the scale bar in the TBB object, but I am afraid that it will not behave as expected when the layer scale changes. The way to go would be to have the scale bar outside of the TBB and manually put it together with the TBB in the layers you need. Not sure if there is any other way to go for this.

 

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Link to comment

Thank you  @Nikolay Zhelyazkov ,
I have already tried to put the graphical scale bar in the TBB, but it doesn't actually do what it should and the graphical scale bar unfortunately doesn't retrieve the scale information from the viewport.
For the moment only the right method is to put the graphical scale bar in the annotations for it to work well.
If you can talk about it to the developers working on TBB, it would be a plus for this tool and process automation.
Have a good end of day.
Best regards.
Edgar

Link to comment
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
3 minutes ago, Edgar RAMEL said:

Thank you  @Nikolay Zhelyazkov ,
I have already tried to put the graphical scale bar in the TBB, but it doesn't actually do what it should and the graphical scale bar unfortunately doesn't retrieve the scale information from the viewport.
For the moment only the right method is to put the graphical scale bar in the annotations for it to work well.
If you can talk about it to the developers working on TBB, it would be a plus for this tool and process automation.
Have a good end of day.
Best regards.
Edgar

 

Thanks for the feedback! I will add this as a wishlist item for the TBB.

 

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Link to comment

I can see the advantage of this if you frequently only have one VP per sheet layer or if you have more than one they are always the same scale, but I often include VPs of different scales on the same sheet layer + so I include the scale bar with the drawing label inside the annotations. 

 

Out of interest, when you put a north arrow in the TBB is its orientation linked to the orientation of the VP? Or is it just a graphic?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Tom W. said:

I can see the advantage of this if you frequently only have one VP per sheet layer or if you have more than one they are always the same scale, but I often include VPs of different scales on the same sheet layer + so I include the scale bar with the drawing label inside the annotations. 

 

Out of interest, when you put a north arrow in the TBB is its orientation linked to the orientation of the VP? Or is it just a graphic?

 

57 minutes ago, Tamsin Slatter said:

The North Point in the TBB can be linked to the Heliodon, which can be linked to the GIS settings in the file. OR, it can just be a graphic that you can rotate as you wish.

Agreed - the scale should not be on the Title Block as it is relevant to different viewports which could be at different scales. In my view, it offers too much scope for misunderstanding and errors to be made when transitioning the design to the real world.

 

Hello @Tamsin Slatter and @Tom W.,
Indeed, the integration of the graphical scale bar cannot work if there are several viewports at different scales and only one TBB.
But it is the same case with the numerical scale that can be indicated in the TBB or North fields which can be different depending on the orientation of the viewport.
In general, I often use a viewport per page and per title block, which is why an integration of the graphic scale bar in the TBB would be a real plus for me.
Thank you in advance if we can manage to integrate it.
Cordially.
Edgar

 

Link to comment
  • 3 weeks later...

+1 to have the Titleblock do this automatically, even for the numerical scale part of the titleblock.

 

I wrote a script that automatically fills in scale info from viewports at time of publishing. In instances where we have you multiple viewports with different scales on the same sheet, you preset what you want the script behavior to be (largest scale/smallest scale of collected viewports on sheet, or concatenate scales, or display 'as shown'). 

 

 

It makes sense that a functionality should be added into the titleblock object, as it is such a pain publishing your 100 page set, then realising scales were not set correctly. (That's what happened to us, and that's why the script was written 😁)

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
5 hours ago, twk said:

+1 to have the Titleblock do this automatically, even for the numerical scale part of the titleblock.

 

I wrote a script that automatically fills in scale info from viewports at time of publishing. In instances where we have you multiple viewports with different scales on the same sheet, you preset what you want the script behavior to be (largest scale/smallest scale of collected viewports on sheet, or concatenate scales, or display 'as shown'). 

 

 

It makes sense that a functionality should be added into the titleblock object, as it is such a pain publishing your 100 page set, then realising scales were not set correctly. (That's what happened to us, and that's why the script was written 😁)

 

 

 

 

Hello @twk,

 

Have you tried using the Scale field in the Sheet Data of the TBB in VW 2021? From the help site you can see that it works like that:

 

"

When a title block border is inserted on a layer, this value is automatically completed with the layer’s scale for design layers, or with the scale of the first viewport on the sheet, if there are viewports, for sheet layers. If the viewports have drawing labels in their annotations, the Scale display format (for example, architectural or engineering) is taken from the first drawing label in the viewport.

Click Update Scale to update the value as needed. If the sheet layer contains multiple viewports with different scales or with different scale display formats, the Set Default Scale dialog box opens; set the Scale value to be used in indeterminate cases.

"

 

I think that it does exactly what you are doing using that script. Correct me if I am wrong.

 

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...