Resolution limits ?

A small profile extruded on a long, bended path.

Wondering if this is a problem of my hardware or if this is the limit of vectorwork's resolution capabilities ?

Wireframe.thumb.jpg.4ea8bbd30df5f0ff399aca30d404bfaf.jpg

OpenGL.thumb.jpg.b5409f08844de6e38edf186490c315c2.jpg

Renderorks.thumb.jpg.484ba1ee85cda3581ece9fa6d1a5aa0b.jpg

The problem does not appear with a linear path. Anyone has similar experiences? Or do I oversee a resolution setting ?

Edited by halfcoupler

I think that Very High converts the circle to a polygon with 256 sides. So with a 12m Diameter and 256 edges, each edge will be about 0.15m long and the angle between edges is about 1.4 degrees.

If you are seeing longer sides or larger angles then you don't have your 2D or 3D conversion resolution let properly. My guess is that 2D conversion is probably set to medium. I believe the circle is converted to a poly using the 2D conversion resolution before the extrude happens.

If setting both 2D and 3D to very high before you make the extrude is not sufficient, then you will probably need to look at using a NURBS curve and a Loft instead of an extrude.

Hi Pat,

thanks for reply, this sounds 100% logical and at first I thought that's the solution, but after changing the 2D and 3D resolution settings and re-creating the extrude I found that nothing changed. Creating the profile as loft results in the same problem.

I still wonder if it's my aged GPU that causes the problem ....

I have attechad a file with the profile, maybe someone here wants to check out what's wrong ?

This is my result when I render the attached file as "Final quality Renderworks":

Profile.thumb.jpg.e5470ad5e7f2959ae7cfd1fe1a33dac0.jpg

this is the file

profile.vwx

Edited by halfcoupler

Instead of Final Quality Renderworks try Custom Renderworks and make sure the Curved Geometry option is set to High or Very High.

Final Quality Renderworks and Fast Renderworks have pretty much been obsoleted by Custom Renderworks and the ability to save Renderworks Styles. Set Custom Renderworks to what you like/need and then save it as a style for easy reuse later.

16 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

Set Custom Renderworks to what you like/need

Hi Pat,

yes, that works much better, but (maybe I'm too picky 😀), the profile is still bulged in custom Renderworks:

Renderorks.thumb.jpg.f72f35805bfac6199c260ca3a8891f03.jpg

and much worser in OpenGL:

OpenGL.thumb.jpg.be53eb4d250fe2528e354b431d5e332a.jpg

even in wireframe parallel lines are not parallel :

Wireframe.thumb.jpg.ded2836871b0a81887c64bd4546a1df6.jpg

Is that really the maximum of what I can expect from Vectorworks ?

What is the final purpose of this drawing? If it is to communicate to someone how to build this object, does it really matter if it is exact? If you have a 12' diameter circle that this object Is bent along, do you think if you dimension it as a smooth bend that someone is going to look at the print and say "Look there is a point there where the bend is not smooth. I had better make sure that happens even thought it is dimensioned as a smooth bend."?

Personally, I can not see anything that does not look smooth to me in the last three screenshots you attached. I can't read them, but it looks like you are zoomed in about 7000%. Does being slightly off at that type of zoom really matter? 

Zoom out to the scale that you would normally use for presentation. Does it represent what you want?

Print it out at a typical zoom and 300 to 600 dpi. Does the print represent what you want?

The model is not reality. There are limitations to computer math. There are limitations to screen resolution.

Yes, you may very well be being too picky about this. I recommend thinking about the desired output.

I tutored a person one time who got caught up on the idea of exactly modeling everything. These ended up firing me when I told them I was not going to try and spend the time to teach them to draw square knots for the hanging wires on the back of the picture frames. They would not accept that the model did not have to be perfect in every detail.

HTH.