Intersecting Roofs Query

MGilc

Hi, 

I hope you are all well.

How would you go about intersecting these roofs in the example attached?  Clip surface is how I thought, but it's not precise since I can only seem to clip on plan and cannot pinpoint exactly the point where the two roofs meet.  The black roof is an extension.  Both roofs were created in AEC, then ungrouped so they could be modified using clip surface.  

Thanks

Michael 

INTERSECTING ROOFS.vwx

Hi @MGilc you can use Clip Surface. You don't need to ungroup them into Roof Faces. In Top/Plan select both roofs + run 'Convert Copy to Lines' + use the lines generated to create polygons the shapes required to clip each roof respectively (all in top/plan). From Jon Pickup

Use Inner Boundary Mode of the 2D Polygon tool to generate the two polygons you need to perform the clipping: just shift-click in the spaces formed by the lines to generate single silhouettes of each roof. Then cut these two shapes, exit the group, delete the group + paste the polygons in place over the roof + do the clipping.

Edited by Tom W.
  • Like 1

You can use the Connect/Combine tool for this.

Click on the Connect/Combine tool in the basic tool palette.  Make sure you're in Single Object Connect Mode (first mode in the first group) and Miter Roof Face Joins Mode (first mode in the second group).

Click Once on one of the black roof faces and then on the big roof face.  The black roof face will be trimmed to the bigger roof face.

Sometimes you have to try a couple times clicking on different sides of the second roof to get it to clip the right way.

In more complicated situations @Tom W.'s Convert Copy To Lines method is the way to go.  But these roof faces are simple enough that the Connect/Combine tool will handle it.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MGilc said:

Hi Tom thanks for your reply. I'll give it a shot.  Will that method ensure the inner faces (ceilings) perfectly line through?  The way I cut it in plan means that it doesn't. 

I'm no expert on this I just remember it from a Jon Pickup video but just tried it now + seems to work ok?

93928356_Screenshot2021-02-09at15_59_42.thumb.png.d82396736eb8512a344cfe328113803a.png

632450958_Screenshot2021-02-09at15_59_54.thumb.png.c6f0b4b7946e67d8f0834ef37fef4495.png

I tried the connect/combine method it cut the smaller roof perfectly but wouldn't cut the big roof as well...

Or rather it did but like this:

62213440_Screenshot2021-02-09at16_06_09.thumb.png.1376ccf597ee524bf542ca8083de0164.png

• Like 1

Thanks Guys.

So if I have a roof drawn from AEC > Create Roof, you're saying I can still edit it without having to ungroup it?  I haven't ever been able to clip or add a surface to a roof created in the way I just mentioned. 

How do you do that?  

Yes you can definitely use Clip Surface on a Roof object in Top/Plan (i.e. AEC>Create Roof...) - to make holes through. Set whether the sides of the hole are square, vertical or splayed in 'Edit Roof Settings' dialog.

But you can't use Add Surface. To modify the shape of the roof, extend sections, etc in the way you might do using Add Surface just use the Reshape tool + add vertices. You can do a hell of a lot with Reshape tool on a roof if you needed to. Add hips/ridges/valleys

• Like 1