Linking Connect CAD Databases

Jan Sander

Hi,

is there any way to connect the circuit, socket and device databases logically?

Im trying to getting informations that are attached to the socket (e.g. user fields) in one spreadsheet with the informations of the circuits connected to the socket.

Related to that, is there any way to disable that socket name is automatically written into the tag as long as both names are the same? 

Many Thanks, 

Cheers, 

Jan 

Edited by Jan Sander
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Jan,

Are you reading my list of future projects by any chance? If I understand correctly you are looking for a socket report showing what's connected to that socket - right? Vector database is not able to do this - yet...

1 hour ago, Jan Sander said:

is there any way to disable that socket name is automatically written into the tag as long as both names are the same? 

No there isn't. I would not like to add this kind of setting unless there is a really compelling case for it. We have to fight the tendency to add complexity to the interface. The software itself should detect the right thing to do and just work.

Conrad

Hi Conrad, 

thanks for your prompt reply.

im not reading your list of future projects (yet) -> will do so 😉

Yes actually a socket report would be great although I created that table on my own already.

What im trying to achieve is to have informations out of sockets, for example a video signal format written in the user fields attached to the circuit information (cable type and length) to feed that into my filemaker soloution from where I print my labels. 

In the end I would like to have a cable that has e.g.: 

cable name

cable type

signal format 

socket name

cable length on it. 

In basic it seams that im close, I have a table with all the socket informations as well as I have all the circuit informations. What is missing is that one criteria that enables me to link that like e.g. a field in the socket that takes over the cable number connected to it. 

I thought of a work around using the socket name and the socket tag and name them individually with some kind of device name as those show up on the circuits in origin and destination, but thinking in a copy - paste workflow, individually naming 24 sockets on over 1000 devices doesn't seam pretty handy to me. Furthermore its getting a bit messy if you have that displayed in the schematics. 

As they are named for example SDI_In 1 to 12 I thought of copying the device name into the Socket name, but this will overwrite the Tags where they are the same.

Maybe im just thinking the wrong way, so any input on that is highly appreciated 🙂

Cheers, 

Jan 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Jan,

Funny, I thought I had replied to you about this. You are running up against a limitation of the Vectorworks database itself. And yes, one of my projects is to improve this but the right way is not to work around but to address the fundamental issue. Our Circuit object in effect does the database JOIN that you are looking for.

From what you say

On 2/9/2021 at 12:09 AM, Jan Sander said:

In the end I would like to have a cable that has e.g.: 

cable name

cable type

signal format 

socket name

cable length on it.

All that information is in the Circuit object already so you extract it as a report or use our Make Cable Labels command to create a worksheet that you can export to Excel for example. You could probably parse the JOINed table which is a Circuit report and factor it back into Devices, Sockets and Circuits in an external relational database for yet mare flexible reports.

That's all I can suggest for the current version.

Conrad