Print a pdf with lines as vectors?

ABu

Hello,

When I print a pdf from a sheet file, the vector lines print as filled shapes.  How can I print the lines as vectors?

All the resolution settings are set at 300 dpi.

I am using File>Print, on a Windows machine.  I get a post-script pop up window after clicking print.

Thanks,

Alex

Edited by klinzey
Edit post title

Hello,

Attached is an image showing my Line settings - the maximum thickness I have is 0.35.  (But I don't think this is the issue.)

The lines appear very thick on the pdf too.  However, whatever their thickness, the lines print as filled shapes not vectors - this is the problem.

Might it be something to do with the Windows print settings?

I can't export to pdf because the file isn't then editable using the Vectorworks Education edition.

Thanks

line..JPG

thick lines.JPG

Exporting to PDF does not exhibit this issue for me. I can open a PDF in Illustrator and lines come in as a lines with a stroke thickness, not an outline shape like in your screenshot.

So it likely has to do with either Windows or 'printing' to PDF. Sorry I can't be of more help.

What is your end goal with what you're trying to do?

I would like to have line vectors which I can edit in Illustrator (so don't print as shapes).

If this is to do with the Windows printing to pdf function, how can I resolve the issue?

(I can't export from the education version of vectorworks as this generates a password-protected file)

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

When you export a PDF or use the Publish command on a watermarked drawing, the resulting PDF will be essentially read-only password locked.  So you can't combine it with other PDFs, open it in Photoshop or Illustrator, or do much of anything outside of viewing and printing it.  I used to run into this all the time when I was in graduate school, as most students are using Student Licenses.

Unfortunately, trying both Adobe and Microsoft's PDF printers resulted in lines being converted to filled objects in Illustrator, even when set to a line weight of 1 mil (smallest VW can do).

But the EPSF export (suggested by @Andy Broomell ), worked like a dream and should be able to be done from a student version.  In my quick bout of testing, all of the lines came in as vector paths from a watermarked file and without the unpredictable nesting that can happen with PDFs and DWGs.  Definitely give that a shot.

• Like 1