Parametric doors

Jan H

Question

11 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

OK.  There were a few things going on and here's what I did to fix it:

1. The door is inserted on the left edge of the wall.  Typically they should be inserted on the wall Center Line.
    The Fix:
    - In the Object Info palette for the Door, set the Insert popup to "Center Line".
    - When you do this, the door will shift and you'll need to change the Offset in Wall to compensate.
    - When the door shifts back in place, the interior trim Thickness will be incorrect.  You'll need to change that to zero.
  2. Now, those lines you were talking about are header lines.  They are created by the door for making ceiling plans for Top/Plan view.  These should be placed in a class that can be turned off for floor plans and turned on for ceiling plans.  To set this, open the Door Settings dialog, go to the 2D Visualization pane, and set Header to a class that can will be turned off for floor plans.  In the video, I set it to the default of "Ceiling-Main".

• Like 2
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
11 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

@Matt Panzer just out of interest is the O.I.P. the only place you'll find the 'Insert' setting + under what circumstances would you change it from the default 'Centre Line'? I don't think I've really noticed it was there before...!

Thanks

All wall insertable symbols and plug-in objects have this option in the Object Info palette.  A Plug-in object definition defines the default insert location - meaning the default setting is buried within the Plug-in Manager dialog.  Note: It is not recommended that users change this default because the setting will likely revert back after installing a service pack.

For Doors and Windows, I don't think you would ever want to change it from Center Line.  There may be some use cases out there, but I cannot think of any at the moment.