Using Plant Report to Create Basic Planting Key

justinekwood

Question

I use VW2019 and I want to use the plant report tool to produce a basic key for my planting plans.  Basically just showing the 2D symbol and the Latin Name.  No quantities, no common names, no 1 row for each occurrence of that plant.

I have used the basic plant report with images and can delete the columns I don't want but then I have a row for each occurrence.  So for example on my report I just want to show Rosa Munstead Wood once rather than the 5 times it appears.

I can't see how to do this on custom report as this doesn't show the plant field options.

Is there a tutorial on the/amending and deduplication within custom reports or can someone simply explain?

Thanks

Justine

20 answers to this question

Hi @justinekwood Tamsin suggested you used the 'Plant List Simple with Images' preformatted report which has a latin names column already. But if you're using the 'Plant List Basic with Images' report you can right-click on the database header row (row 3 with the small black diamond) + select 'Edit Report'. Then in 'Edit Report' dialog, in 'Columns' pane, choose 'Select from records>plant record' + choose 'Latin name' in the list, then click on 'Add>>' button to add that column to your report.

In this dialog you can see all the possible fields you can add as columns + also see the existing columns in your report + remove them. This is basically the way you create database reports so useful to play around with it.

Sometimes easier to create your own database report from scratch - with a blank canvas - than work with the preformatted ones (in my opinion)

• Like 1

I am trying to create a customer report that has one column for the 2D symbol associated with the plan record, another column for the Latin name and the last column with the quantity that plant record.  So not importing an image - using something that exists already.

When I use the reformatted report (Basic with images) it is that image field that I am trying to create in a custom report.

24 minutes ago, justinekwood said:

I am trying to create a customer report that has one column for the 2D symbol associated with the plan record, another column for the Latin name and the last column with the quantity that plant record.  So not importing an image - using something that exists already.

When I use the reformatted report (Basic with images) it is that image field that I am trying to create in a custom report.

Yes you just need to do what I said: Insert Image Function. And if it's the 2D look of the plant you want to show ensure in 'Images' tab of 'Format Cells' dialog you choose Top/Plan view. May be the default already.

Ahhh thanks that is all clear.  Last question is how do I deduplicate.  I have many borders using the same plant records.  I have clicked summarise but I still have a row per mention of the plant record.  I just want to deduplicate so that I have 1 row per plant record where the quantity totals ALL incidences of that plant record.

58 minutes ago, justinekwood said:

Ahhh thanks that is all clear.  Last question is how do I deduplicate.  I have many borders using the same plant records.  I have clicked summarise but I still have a row per mention of the plant record.  I just want to deduplicate so that I have 1 row per plant record where the quantity totals ALL incidences of that plant record.

Not sure if you sorted this bit or not but basically using a combination of sort, summarise + sum in this dialog:

22959684_Screenshot2021-02-11at14_18_18.thumb.png.c193ef4ae4f49077f4a00d14e39cdf57.png

you should be able to get the data displaying exactly how you want