(MacOS) How to keep VW floating pane alive?

line-weight

Question

I'm not sure if this is something that's under the control of Vectorworks, or macOS.

I'm using Mojave, and VW2018 at the moment.

I have three monitors and I often want to have things arranged like this:

Monitor 1: Vectorworks main window

Monitor 2: Vectorworks floating view pane

Monitor 3: Other things (eg web browser, image viewer, etc)

The problem is that I can get this set up, but when I then go to monitor 3 and start doing something in, say, Firefox, the VW floating view pane on monitor 2 disappears. To make it appear again, I have to go to Monitor 1 and make VW active, and then it re-appears.

Is there any way of stopping this happening?

3 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 2/5/2021 at 11:43 AM, line-weight said:

I'm not sure if this is something that's under the control of Vectorworks, or macOS.

I'm using Mojave, and VW2018 at the moment.

I have three monitors and I often want to have things arranged like this:

Monitor 1: Vectorworks main window

Monitor 2: Vectorworks floating view pane

Monitor 3: Other things (eg web browser, image viewer, etc)

The problem is that I can get this set up, but when I then go to monitor 3 and start doing something in, say, Firefox, the VW floating view pane on monitor 2 disappears. To make it appear again, I have to go to Monitor 1 and make VW active, and then it re-appears.

Is there any way of stopping this happening?

Thanks @line-weight I've reached out to the Platforms team here a Vectorworks to see what kind of options we have for the floating view panes moving forward.  I believe they modeled floating view panes to work like pallets.  One so they would always float over the drawing window and not get lost behind it and second so they wouldn't clutter up the monitor when Vectorworks wasn't being used.  We're always trying to find the most optimal solution and in this case it seems like we need to add the ability to "pin" floating view panes so they don't automatically hide.

I don't want to hijack this thread but another issue with floating view panes is that if I have a FVP open when I close a file, when I reopen the file the FVP returns but often looks like it has minimised. In fact it hasn't minimised but rather shrunk right down and I have to stretch it back to how I want it again. It's actually quite tricky grabbing the edge of the mini pane to get a handle to stretch it back out again. I would really like to have a FVP on my second screen but this issue is such a pane that I have in fact stopped using FVP's all together. The FVP should return how it was and not change. 

This behavior was vw2019. I've just upgraded to vw2021 and hoping (perhaps over optimistically) that this little issue has been sorted.

Thanks!

• Like 1