Working Plane tools still don't behave

I'm re-posting this because there was no real response to this problem. Could somebody have a crack at this and see if you get the same result? It happens in any document.

Every time I change the Working Plane using the Working Plane tool, it seems that I get stuck with the new working plane and can't change it back.

I'm using Planar Surface mode to select a new working plane.

image.thumb.png.b2805e084d1efa77452af5cc6fba5306.png

From the manual:

Double-click the Set Working Plane tool to set the working plane to the layer plane.

Nope. Doesn't have any effect.

In fact, trying to select another planar surface to establish a new Working Plane has no effect. It's like the tool is a one-shot deal that needs a restart to fix.

I'm using Screen Plane or Working Plane mode in Plane Mode under Document Preferences.

Double-clicking the "Active Layer Plane" from the Working Planes palette does not have any effect either. The only way i have found to restore the working plane to the active layer plane is to restart.

SOMETIMES... the program allows me to change the working plane more than once. Then it just decides that the Set Working Plane > Planar Surface Mode will no longer have any effect. 

This is driving me crazy. I have to restart the program to reset the planes every time that I want to work in a different plane.

I just tried in the Designer workspace in VW2021SP2 and it is working as advertised.

Are you using a custom workspace by any chance?  Try using one of the defaults (or even just a different default, maybe Fundamentals) and see if it works properly there. If it does, then either start from scratch and completely rebuild you workspace (best option) or just edit the workspace and remove the Working Plane tool and re-add it. It could be using an older version and just needs to be kick started to use the newer version.

Not promising anything, but I have seen similar issues solved by a workspace change before.

• Like 1

I've definitely had occasions where the Working Plane gets "stuck" and won't change regardless of what I do to try and change it. Restarting VW usually fixes it. This happens maybe once every other month. Not sure if it's related to using the Set Working Plane Tool though, and might be a different issue than what you're encountering.

Are you saying this happens every time you open VW, in any file, with any workspace?

@Andy Broomell 

19 minutes ago, Andy Broomell said:

Are you saying this happens every time you open VW, in any file, with any workspace?

Every. Single. Time. Every. Single. File.

@Pat Stanford 

12 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

Are you using a custom workspace by any chance?  

Yep. And your suggestion fixed the problem. Works fine now.

12 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

Not promising anything, but I have seen similar issues solved by a workspace change before.

Disappointing because my custom workspace has evolved over several years (decades indeed) and I was always impressed that the migration function has appeared to become more and more seamless with each new VWX version. I'll be spending the next few weeks re-discovering the keyboard shortcuts that I have added...

I did try switching between workspaces and then back to my custom workspace to see if that might be the trick, however the problem reappeared.

At least there is now a solution on this forum for others who might have created the same situation with their own custom workspaces!

Thanks again, @Andy Broomell and @Pat Stanford !

peace

aj

44 minutes ago, ajpen said:

Disappointing because my custom workspace has evolved over several years (decades indeed) and I was always impressed that the migration function has appeared to become more and more seamless with each new VWX version. I'll be spending the next few weeks re-discovering the keyboard shortcuts that I have added...

I wouldn't trust the workspace migration because related crashes can waste more time & effort than rebuilding from scratch at each version upgrade.  

You can export your previous workspace as a text file, and use that as a guideline to build the new one.  It's also a chance to purge unused tools/commands and add new ones.

Tools Menu -> Workspaces -> Workspaces... -> Export...

• Like 1

@E|FA Once I had finished re-creating one aspect of my workspace, the problem came back!

3 hours ago, E|FA said:

I wouldn't trust the workspace migration because related crashes can waste more time & effort than rebuilding from scratch at each version upgrade.  

Interesting you phrase it like that... my thoughts exactly after this experience. 

The only changes I made to the default Spotlight workspace were keyboard shortcuts, specifically default views. I map Ctrl-Alt-Shift-UIOJKLM<> as if they were a numeric keyboard... have been doing that since I learned how to draw in 3D. I am almost always on a notebook without the extended keyboard so these movements have been natural for me for a long time.

Interesting that changing shortcuts related to views triggers this problem with working planes. I wonder if the coders would be able to find an actual correlation beyond coincidence on that one?

I'll go through those motions again and throw in a few more restarts in between steps, but the problem has resurfaced exactly as I described in the original post.

Thanks again!

peace

aj

It is not the changing the shortcuts that is the issue.

I believe it is that sometimes when a workspace is brought forward some of the tools/commands don't get updated properly. This could be because the tool/command actually changed behind the scenes and the one in the "old" workspace is not the same as the one you should be using. In other cases it could just be an issue of "bit rot" that over time something in the workspace has gotten corrupted.

You could try and "rescue" your old workspace by removing the working plane tool and reading it. But that might fix that one problem and leave others that you are not aware of to bite you later. But it might get you by until you have some time to make all the changes.

The other benefit of starting with the default of every version is that you have all of the new tools included. You would not (or maybe you would) believe how many people ask me about when something was added to VW and I tell them 5 years ago but they never updated their workspace and have been doing difficult workarounds for a long solved problem.

• Like 1

@Pat Stanford 

11 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

It is not the changing the shortcuts that is the issue.

I believe it is that sometimes when a workspace is brought forward some of the tools/commands don't get updated properly. This could be because the tool/command actually changed behind the scenes and the one in the "old" workspace is not the same as the one you should be using. In other cases it could just be an issue of "bit rot" that over time something in the workspace has gotten corrupted.

The problem reappeared after re-loading the default Spotlight workspace and changing only those specific shortcuts to create  a new workspace. This was the only change that was made; other than that it is essentially the default Spotlight workspace. I had abandoned the old workspace that was a result of migration.

Once the problem reappears, switching back to a default workspace does not fix it without a restart.

The new workspace (with just the shortcuts changed) works... for a bit, then the problem reappears.

This happens in a document with just one slightly rotated extrude for testing purposes, using the faces as working planes for this tool to select.

The problem seems to occur when one of the shortcuts is used to change the view. Changing views with the drop-down menu is fine. Plane tool works fine if views are changed this way. Double-clicking the Plane tool reverts Working Plane to Layer Plane as advertised. Then if the view is changed using one of the shortcuts, the Working Plane gets stuck on the next selection and the tool stops working.

Attached are the simple VWX file and the new workspace with just the keyboard shortcuts added. I was able to replicate this problem as described on a different computer using these two files. On the new computer, it took a few view changes via shortcut before the problem happened, but it still did. Again, this workspace is based of the latest Spotlight workspace with just those 9 keyboard shortcuts added.

Ctrl-Shift-Alt UIOJKLM<> are the shortcuts for the views laid out like a numeric keypad.

If anyone else can replicate this using these files then i'm not losing my grip... i hope that's the case!!

peace

aj

just a cube.vwx PlaneToolProblem.vww

Edited by ajpen
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi everyone,

Not sure this is the best place for this but I'm having issues with working / layer planes as well.  I typically just use 2d drawing and don't use working planes.  For some reason, my drawing will switch on me and go from layer plane to working plane.  I'm drawing and all of a sudden there's a big pink box in my work space and things just don't seem like they are working right.  Drives me crazy.  I have to turn it back to layer plane.  I've turned off all the hot keys to anything related to working plane. 

Also, I use a MacBook Pro and have a separate keyboard with numerical pad.  My number keys occasionally change to a different view on me even though I've turned off those as well.  

There are a couple more bugs I see but don't pertain to this topic.  Any help would be appreciated.  

Thanks,

Bill

VW's 2022 SP2.1 Build 627588 64 Bit