Device Builder - ConnectCad 2021

JonnyAVC

Thanks Conrad,

Any idea on time frame?

Also -  still on Device Builder - How do I set a default "Label Symbol" - currently its always "dev_label_center".

I am also having to create virtual devices over physical devices - not sure why. Can you walk me through the process with that?

Finally -  all of my symbols (previously created in VW2019) using "dev_label_generic" are solid objects - ie a white back ground - the device builder does not use a back ground for the main section. As you can see here. 

1456004561_ScreenShot2021-02-05at9_04_52AM.thumb.png.79fd8f14aca2811caeb04f8cba9d3dc0.png

Let me know if you need anything clarifying 

Cheers

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@JonnyAVC In reverse order...

Device Builder uses the fill set in the attributes palette.

Screenshot 2021-02-04 at 22.37.28.png

Virtual devices: the difference between virtual devices and physical devices is that physical devices have non-zero dimensions and as such no Equipment Item is created when you do Update Rack Elevation. The point of having virtual devices as a concept is that these days these things exist as say processes in a server.

13 minutes ago, JonnyAVC said:

I am also having to create virtual devices over physical devices

Not really sure what you mean here. So if I haven't clarified it let me know.

14 minutes ago, JonnyAVC said:

default "Label Symbol" -

Noted !!!

15 minutes ago, JonnyAVC said:

Any idea on time frame?

"Soon" is all I'm allowed to say right now.

Cpnrad

Hey thanks - that's certainly solved a couple of things. 

I'll clarify the virtual over physical devices thing above. What I actually meant was temporary device. 

On the device builder popup the OK button on the bottom right is always greyed out. The only way I can make a device is to hit the "Create Temporary Device" button. Whats the the thinking here - or am I using it wrong?

Also - can we get direct editing in the Object info palette for location please?

804729375_ScreenShot2021-02-05at11_11_37AM.thumb.png.28e089d3b6cce9a05cf4669bd75aa075.png

Cheers

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Ah now I understand.

The Device Builder wants you to set a Make and Model so it can save the device in the user folder database. That way you only have to create it once. It also gets saved as a symbol in the Resource Manager. If it's a physical device then you will need to add the dimensions too. But of course there are times when you just want to create a one-off and that's why we also have the Temporary Device button.

Sounds like we need a bit of clever highlighting to guide people to the next step in that dialog.

Location is fixed in the OIP because the Equipment Item object updates this every time you move it. Tell me a bit more about the workflow you have in mind.

Conrad