Wall Opacity

steelydev

VW 2021 SP2.1 on MacOS 10.13.6

I wish to visualize a floorplan in isometric view.  Some interior rooms are hidden by walls which I wish to make less opaque.  Any way of doing this?

Have tried (using OpenGL rendering):

1) Select wall and use Attribues Palette.  No effect.

2) Change opacity on the wall class. No effect.

3) Change opacity on the wall component classes. No effect.

Ideas?

Is there a way to do this visualization ONLY in the viewport?

Plan.vwx

Opacity and the attributes palette only control 2d attributes. For a 3d isometric view you will need to adjust the textures used i.e. add transparency to the textures.

Wall textures can be a bit complicated as they can be controlled by the wall style components. There's a bit of a run down in this thread if you get stuck.

Also if you only want the transparency to show in one viewport then you will probably have to apply textures by-class so that these textures can be overridden with the transparent textures in the viewport. I'm not sure if this will work with wall textures set by component. It may be a trial and error scenario...

Edited by Boh

Thanks guys!  Great community! I'm sure I've used the attribues palette in the past on 3D objects, but the manual says "No you haven't".

I was confused by VW.  If you select a Type Object the Attributes Palette (AP) allows the Opacity to be changed.  You can select a Wall, change the opacity in the AP,  select another object and then select the original wall and see your Opacity saved.  Selecting a simple Object (extrude) disables Opacity in the AP.

I love clip cube, but the problem is everything outside the cube is opacity 0%.  It would be cool if you could configure both interior and exterior opacities.

So the solution, as much work as it may be, is to duplicate Wall Styles you want translucent. Then duplicate all Renderworks Textures used by those styles.  Then set the Transparency in those styles.

The real question is, why does the AP Opacity only work on 2D objects.  This is 2021 for crying out loud!

EDIT:

May be easier to make a single transparent texture and without replacing the wall style go to the Render tab of the Object Info Palette.  Choose Mode: "By Object".  Choose each Part: (Overall, Left, Right, Top) and set to your transparent texture.  Then it's just a simple matter of swithcing between Mode: "By Component" and "By Object" to turn transparency on or off on a wall. 

Edited by steelydev

Thanks again for all the feedback! 

The Presentation and Layout video rocks! Layered Viewports looked promising at first but then the limitations of the render became apparent.

My final solution (from Barrett's presentation) was to define a set of wall components that are transparent.  Then I applied them using Viewport Class Overrides.  These transparent walls could either be directly in the viewport (if you feel like class-isolating those walls that should be transparent) or pulling various walls to another layer and stack viewports.

The easiest solution IMHO would be to add a opacity slider to viewport Apply Image Effects.  If I had the VW source code, I bet I could to it 1/2 hour.  Can the community get behind this simple feature request?  Then you can just isolate walls by class or layer, render and stack two viewports and set the opacity of the see-through viewport with image effects.

• Like 2