Plant style with various container sizes management

bob cleaver

When creating a design with the same plant with different container sizes (5 gallon and 15 gallon) in the scheduled size input on the plant style -

Is there a way to keep one plant in the plant catalog ? Or does more than one plant scheduled size require more than one plant style ? 
It would be a best practice to have a way to maintain one plant style with differing plant container sizes (scheduled size)

I want to add this forum has evolved into an incredible resource and I thank everyone who participates - 

Bob Cleaver landscape architect

• Like 1

Hello,

Normally, it should be possible to indicate specific characteristics for a single iteration of a plant in the plant tool. This without having to create a new plant style.

To do this, go to the advanced settings of the Plant Tool in the Object palette.

There, you can change the size of the selected plant and fill in information specific to the project: price, plant size, SKU, ... but nothing for the packaging ? 🤔.

889399705_Capturedcran2021-02-03084709.thumb.png.53731dfaf855d2bf389e56804245fa41.png

On the other hand, I haven't found how to retrieve this customized information in the spreadsheets. There are two databases linked to the plant tool and the customization of the fields does not seem to modify what is extracted from these symbols.

What I found most efficient at the moment (but I hope someone will reply to my last post maybe @Tamsin Slatter, @bgoff ou @Nico_be ? They are quite active on the subject of plants) is to create a separate VectorWorks database where I manage the price, size, packaging info ...

Hopefully this will have given you some leads.

Yours sincerely.

Edgar

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Bob
One style should be sufficient. You can set a default container size in the Scheduled Size field. Then, when you come to use the Plant, in the Plant Tool Preferences, click the Advanced Settings button and click Schedule under the placement options. Here, you can choose if you want to use the Default option that you saved in the Plant Style, or override it with a Custom Scheduled Size:

image.png

• Like 2