exported vwx to DWG converts to pdf when saved on my computer

Denise new to vectorworks

Question

9 answers to this question

Do you get a dialog box that looks something like this when you export to DWG?  This one is from VW2021, but VW2020 was sort of similar. If you don't it sounds like you might have a problem with your workspace and when you think you are selecting Export DWG you are actually selecting Export PDF.

Please try and switch to one of the standard workspaces, probably Designer would be best, and see if the same thing happens when you try to export from there. If it exports properly, you will need to rebuild you custom workspace.

Ask again if you need more help.

image.thumb.png.fb3745280d3098d25d16cc2f8e09a9ac.png

Let's try this.

Create a simple VW file. Just a few items for a test.

Export DWG, but make sure you are saving the file into a new empty folder (folder can be anywhere that you can find it again).

Open the folder and let us know what files are in the folder.

If the test above get you a DWG file, then repeat the above using one of your normal files and again let us know what files you get in the folder.

If you do not get DWG files in the folder we will try and go deeper.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Denise new to vectorworks said:

I tried it and I got a pdf in the folder.

3 hours ago, Denise new to vectorworks said:

My computer promts me on the file type when I go to save it and it clearly says DWG. then I hit save and it converts automaticly to a pdf

Just to make sure... are you using the Export or the Publish item from the file menu to export to DWG?

The reason I am asking is because I get the impression you might be using the Publish feature to export to DWG and in that case your dialog may look like this

image.thumb.png.58b5e44e68a606a92783d95b03653a5e.png

If you don't click on the top right pointing arrow after selecting the sheet layer you want to export then it will only publish the PDF.

If you do add the sheet layer with this setup by selecting the sheet layer(s) and click on the top right pointing arrow then you should get something like this

image.thumb.png.63f0e6c8f4c213ab55e991aa95e260c7.png

Then it should create a DWG file as well.

Or you can select the sheet in the publish sectin and change the output format into DWG/DXF and then use the options button to make the settings for exporting.

If it still exports a PDF then it looks like you may have run into a bug (not likely as more people might have complained about this) or a glitch on your system or VW install.

Another possibility that just came to mind, are you perhaps exporting to DWG to replace an existing file? If yes and you type a name it may use the PDF name version of that file and also use the PDF extension despite the file format you have selected being DWG, especially autocomplete/explorer utilities may cause this to happen and then it may save the file with a PDF extension but it actually is a DWG file.

If you open the generated PDF after an export, does it open in a PDF viewer or do you get an error message? If the latter you could try changing the PDF extension to DWG and then try to open the file. If it opens in you DWG viewer/CAD program then something is causing the extension to be changed into PDF for some reason.

Just guessing for some possible causes that I have ran into in the (distant) past with other software that looked similar to what you are experiencing.

• Like 1