Can't find a server on the network

LindsayVogel

Question

I apologize if this question is somewhere in this troubleshooting forum, I couldn't figure out how to search it. Forewarning, I know next to nothing about Vectorworks and my network knowledge is limited.

I have inherited the Mac Management on our college campus and we are having issues with Vectorworks 2018. Upon launch, it typically crashes. When it doesn't, we attempt to login with find the server automatically and it says that it can't find a server.

We use the dongle method for licensing, and all systems are "go" for the dongle. I can connect to localhost:5053 on the server and connect to the Sentinel Admin Control Center. It recognizes our Sentinel Key with Vendor information and Key ID. I have verified the license file is in the correct folder and the number matches our Serial Number. The computer lab is on the same network as the lab. 

I am at a loss. Can someone with a better working knowledge of VW help a newbie out?

2 answers to this question

just to avoid having double posts about the same topic:

What can be possible reasons, that the Vectorworks-login doesn't find our License Server? Instead I have to fill in the server-IP manually.

Actually we have macOS operating systems from 10.12 to 12 in our office. Our server runs on 10.12 (and is to be updated of course, i guess to 11 (Big Sur))

I imagine, that Vectorworks must send some kind of broadcast to find the license server which isn't answered. Must be some security policy on the server, I guess. Like port 5053 which could be closed to broadcasts or sth like that. What do you know about that?