Cut Command

MikeN

Here's the message:

Vectorworks has caused an error in VECTORWORKS.EXE

Vectorworks will now close.

If you continue to experience problems, try restarting your computer.

Then it goes to this message:

Vectoworks has caused an error in MFC42.DLL.

If I continue to experience problems with Vectorworks I will soon be changing software.

Mnelson,

Does this happen every time you use ctrl -x to cut? Does it only happen after another command or in a specific document?

I would recommend attempting to start the computer in safe mode and see if the crash persists. If it does not happen in safe mode, I would suspect that it is being caused by interaction with another program in memory or one of your drivers. To disable other programs from running at startup. Go to the start menu and select Run. Type in the command msconfig and click ok. On the rightmost pane of this program, there is a list of items which launch with your computer. (please note, many of these are low level programs which do not have any interface.) Since these programs are non essential to windows it should be safe to disable them, but doing this may also disable functionality of some devices on or attached to your computer. It is unlikely that all of them are causing problems, so you really just need to find the one or combination that causes VectorWorks to misbehave.

If safe mode does not stop the problem, I would do a complete reinstall of the program. It is conceivable that one of your VectorWorks program files or preferences has become corrupt. Run the uninstaller and re-install VectorWorks. To remove the preferences, you will need to delete the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Nemetschek/ and HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Nemetschek in the system registry.

If the problem is only happening in the one file and not in a new document, email the file to Tech@Nemetschek.net with a description of how to cause the problem. We will look at the file and attempt to reproduce the crash here. If possible we will either repair the file or contact you with instructions on how to do a self repair.

Matthew Giampapa

Technical Support

quote:

Originally posted by mnelson:

Here's the message:

Vectorworks has caused an error in VECTORWORKS.EXE

Then it goes to this message:

Vectoworks has caused an error in MFC42.DLL.

If I continue to experience problems with Vectorworks I will soon be changing software.

I get a similar message MFC42DLL when I attempt to launch Quickeys. I suspect that this file is corrupt but do not know how to replace it. I downloaded a new MFC42DLL file... but cannot remove the old one, rename or and try to slip the new one in. Any help here?

Also... can I download a list of VW 8.52 shortcuts?

frustrated defjef

MFC42DLL is a Microsoft library file used by the OS and many other applications. Since it is always in use, it is difficult to replace. If you really want to replace it with another copy (which I DO NOT recommend) you would need to boot into DOS mode and replace the file while windows is not running.

There are other tricks to replace this, but I find this to be the most simple.

There are a huge number of things that can cause the error you are seeing. By no means is this necessarily the problem.

As for the shortcut list, the closest I can come it this web page. (http://www.nemetschek.net/support/technotes/043.html) I know in VW 9, Appendix A has them listed, but I do not believe we have a similar section in the version 8 documentation.

Matthew GiampapaTechnical Support

quote:

Originally posted by defjef:
I get a similar message MFC42DLL when I attempt to launch Quickeys. I suspect that this file is corrupt but do not know how to replace it. I downloaded a new MFC42DLL file... but cannot remove the old one, rename or and try to slip the new one in. Any help here?Also... can I download a list of VW 8.52 shortcuts?frustrated defjef