Cut Plane and Display

Stéphane

Question

Hello. 

I have an issue regarding the Cut Plane and Display you can find by right clicking a section VP and choose Edit Section in Place. 

I have trees. Some trees are cut by my Section Line. I don't want them to be cut. How to achieve this ? 

I have done two things  

1) Watched @Matt Panzer video for the correct procedure 

On 4/18/2019 at 3:11 PM, Matt Panzer said:

2) Done this test which confuses me 

1401552862_Capturedcran2021-02-0112_11_44.thumb.png.ff7e511446959cc28bbb2e19b0ab7953.png

The trees are VBvisual plants. I copied the Tree n°1 five times. Trees n°1-3 are on the Section Line. Trees n°4-6 are behind the Section Line. 

Tree n° 1 is what I want to avoid. You can see little section lines you don't want to get. The tree has also less leaves because they are logically removed by the Cut Plane. 

I want my trees n°1-3 to look like my trees n°4-6 even if they are cut by the Section Line. 

The settings of Trees n° 2 and n° 3 don't seem to solve my issue. 

If I may also summon @Christiaan and @zoomer to ask you how you would solve this issue and more generally, how do you deal with trees ? I would appreciate your help. 

3 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The Cut Plane and Display settings currently are designed work only with Hidden Line render modes.  If you change the viewport to Hidden Line, you should see the tree display uncut beyond the cut plane.  This is a technical limitation in how the other render modes work.

Ok, thank you for the answer. 

What would be your preferred way to deal with trees, knowing that some trees will stand on a Section Line and that you work with realistic RWs ?

1) VBvisual plants in the design space 

2) Image props in the design space 

3) Trees in the annotation space 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
9 hours ago, Stéphane said:

Ok, thank you for the answer. 

What would be your preferred way to deal with trees, knowing that some trees will stand on a Section Line and that you work with realistic RWs ?

1) VBvisual plants in the design space 

2) Image props in the design space 

3) Trees in the annotation space 

Image Props in the design layer would probably be the best option for this.