A new computer for Vectorworks

I am to buy a new computer as my existing one is a PC running Celeron 400MHz with 384Mb RAM (at 100 MHz SDRAM) and a 16Mb video card. Harddrive runs at 5000rpm, (I think).

Been OK with 8.5.2 at a push.

I am looking at a Pentium 4, 1.5GHz, 256MB RAM (at 133 MHz SDRAM) and 32 MB video card, harddrive to run at 7200rpm.

I will upgrade the RAM later on.

My main question is, that for a computer for VW/Architect 9, would a Athlon chipset be better?

I would appreciate your input as I am a single person business and this is a big purchase for me, as I am getting more and more into 3D and animations.

I use an Athlon system with no more problems than others on this forum seem to have. As for Mac or PC, stick to the PC. Although Mac is the industry standard for graphics programs in the advertising industry, publishing industry etc, PC's are the standard in the CAD industry, and although Vectorworks started life as a Mac program it is a CAD program.

I work on both a mac and pc. I've found over the last 4 years that it is irrevelent which platform you use. For the same money you will get a system which essentially performs the same.

Currently I use a 800 mhz pc and a 733 mhz Mac. There is almost no difference in performace with each system handleing some things better and some things worse.

As far a PC's I've always used pentium chips. Probably just a name preference but I've never had a problem with them.

Lastly, I've always been pleasantly suprised that there has almost never been a platform war on this forum. May we please keep it this way? We all have our preferences.

Thanks for that input JNR.

I was looking at XP or Win200, and I was a bit wary about XP being so new. I will go for Win2000.

Thanks to the others input.

What I have found out as far as using Pentium 4 verses Athlon is that a Pentium chip allows for other programs running in the background to preform better than using Athlon.

Athlon would be a little better if your machine had just VW on it. So using Pentium as a cross platform programe seems that little bit better.

So thanks again to all replys (except the Mac response - haha)

quote:

Originally posted by jnr:

Just make sure you use win2000. If history is any lesson,stay away from XP for at least 6 months. I switched from a win98 600 mhz to a 2gigahertz win2000. The program runs much faster with fewer glitches using win2k.