Worksheet data for thickness, width, length?

12 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

Glad it is working. 

You have been asking for this for oh, maybe 10-15 years?

Since I started woodworking in 1978. Now I'm retired! The script is great. Now I'm rebuilding the incorrectly created parts of my drawing my working drawing to get the worksheet cut list to show the correct dimensions.

Edited by Bruce Kieffer

@PatStanford, I am still recreating the objects that did not' "dimension" correctly in the worksheet. No kidding, how they are created makes a huge difference. You can't rotate and object before the modeling steps are done. It's not a big deal, just something that needs to be remembered.

There are rare occasions when a piece of plywood is wider than it is long, and this is to define its grain direction. I assume your script is choosing thickness as the smallest dimension, width as the middle dimension, and length as the longest dimension. If so, can you envision a workaround for those rare plywood instances?

Edited by Bruce Kieffer

No good way for the script to know that the fields should be reversed. It would have to be something your manually added to the object. The simplest solution would be to add a Record to the objects that you want width/length reversed. The script could then check and see if that record exists (or we could get fancy and use and specific Field value in the record) and swap the fields if it does.

Workflow would be something like draw the object, go to the data pane and attach the record. If you decide you don't want the grain running that way, then just unattach the record.

Does this sound like a solution?

9 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

No good way for the script to know that the fields should be reversed. It would have to be something your manually added to the object. The simplest solution would be to add a Record to the objects that you want width/length reversed. The script could then check and see if that record exists (or we could get fancy and use and specific Field value in the record) and swap the fields if it does.

Workflow would be something like draw the object, go to the data pane and attach the record. If you decide you don't want the grain running that way, then just unattach the record.

Does this sound like a solution?

It does. I have a few ideas to try, but the situation of this being needed will be so rare that it's not worth spending a lot of time looking for a solution.

@PatStanford This is a easy solution to the rare occasion of a part who's width is greater than its length. I duplicated my White Oak parts worksheet which uses a White Oak material definition to display those parts in the worksheet. Then I made a Birch Plywood material definition, adjusted the worksheet criteria, and finally I reversed the script formulas for width and length. It was easier to do then it is to explain!

1835876260_ScreenShot2021-03-10at8_52_47AM.thumb.png.a4323c04083604410267063d2412c547.png

2065158486_ScreenShot2021-03-10at8_56_58AM.thumb.png.d3dda00ad387899251b94b3e0bb50df8.png