nVidia Quadro cards now supported by Vectorworks?

When looking at specs of some workstation grade laptops with nVidia Quadro RTX graphics cards I noticed that some models had Vectorworks listed in the ISV list, suggesting that the laptop has been considered approved for use with VW. This usually means support for the Quadro graphics card.

Does this mean that Vectorworks  does now support the Quadro graphics cards functionalities (e.g. can use the benefits of working with high polygon count models that Quadro cards can handle better than GeForce cards)?

4 minutes ago, Art V said:

Does this mean that Vectorworks  does now support the Quadro graphics cards functionalities (e.g. can use the benefits of working with high polygon count models that Quadro cards can handle better than GeForce cards)?

I doubt.

VW was listed on Nvidias Quadro site for years,

although VW stated that they don't make use of special Quadro pro drivers.

Or I always read about Quadro VW users having issues and poor performance

and are told to switch to the 2nd option Quadro non Quadro driver for better results.

Nevertheless VW could profit from usually Quadro's larger amount of VRAM

(If any VW project can ever need that much) and the user from possibly

cherry picked chips, lower power settings and such.

But if you also use any real time render solutions like Enscape, Lumion, Twinmotion , ...

or GPU Rendering, or any of those typical Quadro supporting Autodesk or Pro Mechanical

Apps it may be worth the extra money.

But I hope some VW official will chime in if there were meanwhile any changes concerning

Pro GPU's.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, zoomer said:

VW was listed on Nvidias Quadro site for years,

although VW stated that they don't make use of special Quadro pro drivers.

I know that VW always stated they don't support the Quadro cards with Quadro specific drivers.

In this case the ISV list of the manufacturer's website mentioning Vectorworks was only with models having the Quadro RTX3060 cards, Vectorworks was not mentioned on the ISV lists for models with Quadro cards older than the Quadro RTX3xxx series.

Which is why I was asking if Vectorworks is now supporting the Quadro cards (with specific Quadro drivers or otherwise getting benefit from things that Quadro cards have over GeForce cards).

Edited by Art V

https://www.lenovo.com/de/de/laptops/thinkpad/p-series/ThinkPad-P15-Mobile-Workstation/p/22WSP15P5N1 does list VW as the Quadro RTX3060 is an option

https://www.lenovo.com/de/de/laptops/thinkpad/p-series/ThinkPad-P15v-Mobile-Workstation/p/22WSP15P5V1 no Quadro RTX option and VW not listed in the ISV list

https://www.lenovo.com/de/de/laptops/thinkpad/p-series/ThinkPad-P15s/p/22WSP15P5S1  no Quadro RTX option and VW not listed in the ISV list

https://www.lenovo.com/de/de/laptops/thinkpad/p-series/P53/p/22WS2WPWP53 does list VW as the Quadro RTX is the graphics card

This is the German Lenovo website, the same applies on the NL website for the laptop models I looked at, i.e. no Quadro RTX option then no VW mentioned (though it is possible there might be an exception somewhere as I didn't look at each and every individual model). There are differences in available models so the websites cannot be compared 1:1 for that.

Yes, the rest of the hardware may be a factor too for being on the ISV list or not for some app packages, but the (so far) consistent difference between RTX or no RTX Quadro  card and VW being listed or not listed just stood out to me. So that is why I got curious.

I don't have high hopes for Quadro now being supported by VW but one never knows. 🙂

As Nvidia finally removed VW from Quadro,

I think it is more likely that this is a Lenovo own thing.

Like, VW, here are 3 Notebooks from our line,

can you confirm VW is running smoothly on them ?

But I would also prefer Pro GPU Support.

At least that it is not running slower with the Pro Drivers,

in case you use VW beside one of those Apps that require

Pro Drivers or for people that get stuffed with Workstations

with Pro GPUs by their company.

Of the apps listed in the ISV section only ArcGIS might be one that would be used on the workstation if I would get one. Since none of my other "heavy duty" programs would benefit from a Quadro I decided to go for a Lenovo Legion 5 instead. It may be a gaming laptop but at least it doesn't look like a gaming laptop and it will be supported for the next 5 years (my current laptop was only supported for two years so no driver updates etc. after that, and less than two years if you bought it a few months after introduction)

It's just too bad that the Ryzen 7 version supported RAM is maxed out at 16 GB RAM, so I decided to go for an Intel based one after all.

18 hours ago, zoomer said:

Fair enough.

I would still be interested in a VW statement about the Pro GPUs

and their App name mentioned here and there ....

@JuanP Like @zoomer I'd like to hear if there has been a change in the Quadro cards support by VW since the RTX cards on workstation laptops are now available. Lenovo is still listing it on the ISV lists of some of its workstations that have Quadro RTX card options. GIven that Lenovo is still a serious player in that field I doubt they would be providing completely wrong information. Could you please shed some more light on this?

Especially with site modelling with large tin areas or 3D models with lots of polygons etc. Quadro support may have its benefits over GeForce.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...