Is it possible...(worksheets question)

Is it possible to import a worksheet (Excel file) into Vectorworks, save it into a drawing and then give it the ability to update its data as the Excel file is updated? 

It's the last bit I'm curious about. I'd like to be able to have the data from an Excel file in my drawing and somehow have it update what it displays as the data in the Excel file changes.

Excel files are 'static', as are VW Worksheets. A 'live' link would be a database, in which case, you'll want to look into Database connections: https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2021/eng/index.htm#t=VW2021_Guide%2FDatabase%2FDatabase_connectivity.htm&rhsearch=Database&rhhlterm=Database&rhsyns=

If you figure it out, please make a tutorial for the rest of us, because we want this sort of functionality too. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Thomas Peters said:

Excel files are 'static', as are VW Worksheets. A 'live' link would be a database, in which case, you'll want to look into Database connections: https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2021/eng/index.htm#t=VW2021_Guide%2FDatabase%2FDatabase_connectivity.htm&rhsearch=Database&rhhlterm=Database&rhsyns=

If you figure it out, please make a tutorial for the rest of us, because we want this sort of functionality too. 

Thanks Thomas. I doubt if I'm the guy to be able to figure something like that out, but I'm going to take a look. I'll report back if I make any headway.

2 minutes ago, Thomas Peters said:

It may be helpful if you tell us what you're trying to achieve with a 2-way link. 

I've got a wishlist item open to be able to bulk edit record fields easily, and I suppose a live-link with excel is sort of in the same train of thought: a mass editing of cells.

I/we use Vectorworks for entertainment rigging and although we have Braceworks, all of our load calcs are done with an Excel file. I would like to be able to have the results from that Excel file displayed within the Vectorworks file and update as the data in the Excel file changes.