IFC AND REVIT FILES

I don't indulge too heavily in using either of these formats, but I am assuming that, for example, if you import an ifc  file, it may look ok, but  is mostly worthless because ifc walls are not VW walls, ifc windows and doors are not VW doors and windows, etc, etc.

am I missing something in relation to converting IFC Data into VW parlance ??

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys.

I wanted to give it a try and see how one of my projects would look exported to IFC. I ended up with a large file which I struggle to import anywhere. I followed the set up described on the hep pages, but perhaps there is more I need to take into account.

Would you be able to direct me where I can find some more guidance and understanding of the settings?

Yes i'd be interested to know more about working with ifc in vectorworks. VW help is a bit slim on the issue. @Michal Zarzecki I looked at some of my recent ifc exports and they are not that big. A 70Mb vw file exports to a 20Mb ifc.

Maybe play around with the export options in the Export IFC Project settings. I just have it set to "Export Custom Property Sets" which I think means only stuff with IFC data attached. i.e. parametric objects like walls, slabs etc. If I have extrudes in the file I want to export to ifc I add an IFC record to it otherwise extrudes won't export.

image.thumb.png.f5ddb972cbe05dfe1ad6dd92579c04dc.png

Edited by Boh

@Michal Zarzecki @Boh I also only have rudimentry understanding of IFC in Vectorworks. Usually IFC-files should be much smaller than vwx-files. If you need them even smaller you should give ifcziop a try. This file type is very suitable to compressions. Ifcxml tends to make files bigger. A few programms prefer xml over standard ifc, for example programms for quantity take off and cost calculations. Since the introduction of ExportOptions in the Datamanger, these options here are not so useful anymore. The checkboxes here treat all objects the same, but you might want to treat every ifcobject differently. So Walls by components but not slabs. The checkbox for "Quantity Take Off" is used if the recieving software can't calculate quantities from the objects themselves. The Solibri Model Checker is calculating its own quantities.

These are just a few things I have picked up over the years. If you have more questions, feel free to ask.

Nevertheless I would like to have a comprehensive webinar from Vectorworks regarding the use of IFC. There is always more to learn. Wish you a nice evening from Germany.

• Like 1
Guest Wes Gardner

Hi All,

Here's some information regarding working with IFC and Vectorworks. 

https://university.vectorworks.net/mod/scorm/player.php?a=52&currentorg=articulate_rise&scoid=104

Here's a model containing an IFC file, check out the model set-up

https://university.vectorworks.net/mod/page/view.php?id=1407

Here's some more information about working with Vectorworks and IFC

https://university.vectorworks.net/mod/scorm/player.php?a=393&currentorg=articulate_rise&scoid=786

Thanks, @Boh My file is over 50 MB whilst the ifc ends up as 150 MB, so there must be something seriously wrong there.

Do I need to attach IFC to all objects I need to export? These are mostly walls, some custom-modelled objects, plants, slabs and the site model. I tend to assign most objects to Site storey whilst a roof terrace I have in this project is in Storey 1.

I will have a look at these resources @Wes Gardner  posted.

Guest Wes Gardner

@Michal Zarzecki Solibir Model Viewer (a free resource available on both Mac and Win) can be used to validate and varify your model for IFC export.  Typically, items such as windows, doors, walls and slabs in Vectorworks are IFC compliant (meaning they have IFC data already attached).  Custom modeled objects will need to have IFC data attached or they will not show up in SMV.

Wes

• 7 months later...
On 2/10/2021 at 10:19 PM, Michal Zarzecki said:

Thanks, @Boh My file is over 50 MB whilst the ifc ends up as 150 MB, so there must be something seriously wrong there.

Do I need to attach IFC to all objects I need to export? These are mostly walls, some custom-modelled objects, plants, slabs and the site model. I tend to assign most objects to Site storey whilst a roof terrace I have in this project is in Storey 1.

I will have a look at these resources @Wes Gardner  posted.

Change your 3d conversion resolution to 'low' and the exported IFC file size will drop.

image.png.38d8ae9bb9ed7900711b16ccafea590d.png

• Like 1