Show Hide Grid Lines especially landmark

Landartma

Question

I am going through one of the tutorial videos and reset settings according to the Professor.   My grid lines are there but I have to zoom in to see them.  I am in 1=10 scale and have the grid lines set to 1" both on snap and symmetrical.  When I zoom out less than 97% the grid goes away.  Is there a standard grid size setting that seasoned landmark users set to?

5 answers to this question

It depends on the size of your site. The larger the site the larger you want the display grid at. When you zoom too far out that the grid becomes very close together, then VW stops displaying it as it will just show as blue.

I would bet for Landmark something like 5 feet or 10 feet for the display grid would probably be in the right range. But zoom to full size on your monitor and see what makes sense based on your plot size.

1" for the Snap grid might also be to small to be useful in landscape. Do you really need everything to be accurate to the nearest inch?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Agreed - I think a 1" grid is rather small for landscape design. 

There are two grids at play here. One is a visual grid to use as a design aid. I'm in the UK, and might set this to 1m typically, for areas around buildings. But larger if working on larger spaces.

The other grid (the snap grid) is invisible, but forces anything you draw to snap to that grid. I usually work with that turned off anyway, as I prefer to draw to real world known measurements for accuracy. The Snap Grid, if it's set too large, can give you restrictions. So, if it's set to 1 foot for example, it means anything you draw will have to snap to the nearest grid point. This could be restrictive.
So, no right or wrong answer here. Just flexible tools to adjust according to the needs of the site and your design process.