stretching walls

jnr

Hey Matt:

I'm using 9.01 on win98se,lots of RAM. Stretching walls has become a pain that I don't recall in 8.5.2. Trying to maintain orthogonality when stretching any type of wall length now seems to be arbitary. I try stretching holding the shift key down (which is supposed to keep an object straight), sometimes it stays straight, sometimes not. If it doesn't, then I try it without the shift. I can't seem to find a consistent pattern and its starting to take up too much time. Any ideas? Did this change from 8?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by jnr:

Hey Matt:

I'm using 9.01 on win98se,lots of RAM. Stretching walls has become a pain that I don't recall in 8.5.2. Trying to maintain orthogonality when stretching any type of wall length now seems to be arbitary.

Do you get a weird little twist where the sides of the wall cross each other, or is it a perfectly good wall otherwise that just isn't aligned? The former is a bug that is already fixed in the 9.5 development code. (Note that the bug only affects the actual interactive drawing of the wall, not the final wall.)

------------------

Andrew Bell

andrewb@nemetschek.net

I am not an official spokesperson for NNA

As far as I can tell there has not been any kind of change. Holding the shift key down when drawing a wall should keep it constrained to it's previous angle... Try stretching a wall with out it and then toggling the shift key before placing the wall. It should snap back and forth from your mouse position to being in alignment with it?s previous position.

If you are more concerned with keeping everything at a right angle, you may want to consider using a parametric constraint.

On that pallet of red tools, there is a right angle tool. Use it to click on one object then the next and it will lock them at 90 degrees. (NB, the order which you click will determine which wall moves)

Alternatively, you could also place a datum point at the corner (press the g key on the keyboard when over the point). If you have smart points turned on you will get a horizontal/vertical dotted line when within the snap radius of the horizontal or vertical to the datum.

Matthew Giampapa

Technical Support

quote:

Originally posted by jnr:

Hey Matt:

I'm using 9.01 on win98se,lots of RAM. Stretching walls has become a pain that I don't recall in 8.5.2. Trying to maintain orthogonality when stretching any type of wall length now seems to be arbitary. I try stretching holding the shift key down (which is supposed to keep an object straight), sometimes it stays straight, sometimes not. If it doesn't, then I try it without the shift. I can't seem to find a consistent pattern and its starting to take up too much time. Any ideas? Did this change from 8?

When you have the point prompt, (with a crosshair and dot cursor) you should not be able to resize at all, only move the wall.

The important aspect here is the cursor icon. If you have a cross hair it should move, a diagonal arrow it should resize.

Matthew Giampapa

Technical Support

quote:

Originally posted by MikeB:

I have noticed in 9.0.1 you have to grab the "corner" (smart que) of the wall and not the "point" at the end of the wall. If you grab the "point" at the end of the wall the constrant using the shift key is slightly off 90 degrees. Happens every time.

G4 733

384 MB RAM

VM on

Matthew

Yes, I know what the screen symbols mean. If I get the diagonal arrow and the screen hint says "point" at the end of a wall the constrant will not be Vert. or Horiz. but slightly off. If I get the diagonal arrow and the screen hint says "corner" at the end of the wall the Vert. and Horiz. constrant will be correct.

I just check it again to be sure. its easier to reproduce with walls with cavities but also happens on walls with no cavities.

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed this too, and have been trying to figure out when it happens to me. It seems the amount of zoom has an effect on the cursor's discretion of handle to select ('point' or 'corner'). When zoomed far out, the cursor can grab the point with a diagonal resize cursor, and then 'shift' will constrain that point which is off by half the wall thickness. Zoomed up close, the cursor won't do this.

quote:

Originally posted by MikeB:

Matthew

Yes, I know what the screen symbols mean. If I get the diagonal arrow and the screen hint says "point" at the end of a wall the constrant will not be Vert. or Horiz. but slightly off. If I get the diagonal arrow and the screen hint says "corner" at the end of the wall the Vert. and Horiz. constrant will be correct.

This might be a Mac bug. In my Windows version, it does not seem to be possible to get both the stretch cursor symbol with the "Point" screen hint. When moving from the "Corner" screen hint to either side of the wall, I get the "Point" screen hint and the stretch cursor consistently changes to the cross cursor.

"Corner" does not seem to have particular geometric meaning in this context, but holding down the shift key to constrain stretching works properly.

VW 9.0.1

Win 2000

PII 333/192