Slab Drainage default drain symbols: floor gullies needed

Christiaan

Question

11 answers to this question

You can add your own symbols in the user folder. BUT I find the way the slab drainage tool inserts these symbols into slabs highly unsatisfactory. Very hard to get them to insert at the correct elevation. I think I came to the conclusion that it was far better to insert them outside of the tool as hybrid symbols with wall hole component to clip the slab. But be interested to know if you've had more luck

See

• Like 1

Tom, I'm not sure I have a problem inserting them at the right level. For instance for a floor gully you need to make sure the top of symbol is set to Z=0 (for a floor gully that is). The 3D Home Component of the symbol does cut the slab as far as I can see but I find the top of can't be at Z=0; you have to make sure the top of the extrude for that sits just above zero.

Edited by Christiaan

Just tested it again. This is what I get picking one of the VW drainage symbols at random:

461891713_Screenshot2021-01-27at12_04_27.thumb.png.5f266c7ee49044ee40339055687e7cb7.png310687115_Screenshot2021-01-27at12_04_44.thumb.png.c19a278760694be688fc9fd834ec0454.png

This is too high. The top of the upstand should be flush with the slab surface so that water can run in. I know from experience all the other symbols come in at the wrong height relative to the slab surface as well, in a completely random manner. In order to lower it I have to go into the symbol settings + fiddle around lowering it bit by bit to get it to right level. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. Yes you can set the Z height for a stand-alone symbol but you have no such option if the symbol has been inserted as part of the slab drainage tool. That's why I think it's better to forget about the slab drainage symbols + insert your own symbol using 'Add 3D Object to Slab...'. This way like you say you can adjust the Z height in the O.I.P. + get it exactly where it needs to be. 

But do please tell me if I'm missing something really obvious!! I hope I am

38 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

This is too high. The top of the upstand should be flush with the slab surface so that water can run in. I know from experience all the other symbols come in at the wrong height relative to the slab surface as well, in a completely random manner. In order to lower it I have to go into the symbol settings + fiddle around lowering it bit by bit to get it to right level. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. Yes you can set the Z height for a stand-alone symbol but you have no such option if the symbol has been inserted as part of the slab drainage tool.

If this is the case then it could be that the person who created the default content didn't understand the installation properly. However the example you've given looks correct to me. That upstand you're looking at is typically part of the upper section which is clamped down over the roof waterproofing layer.

That's why I think it's better to forget about the slab drainage symbols + insert your own symbol using 'Add 3D Object to Slab...'. This way like you say you can adjust the Z height in the O.I.P. + get it exactly where it needs to be.

I'd rather use the Drainage Settings otherwise you're complicating things. If you think a drain is set to the wrong height then copy of the symbol over to your user drainage settings file and edit the symbol height.

Edited by Christiaan
  • Like 1

Thanks @Christiaan it's not like any roof drain I've ever used but you could be right. But the main thing is, I've just checked all the other symbols + they are all coming in at the correct height now! I swear they didn't when I've looked at this in the past. Anyway, apologies I should have double-checked before posting today. But glad to in the process have found it to now be working!

On 1/27/2021 at 4:15 AM, Tom W. said:

Just tested it again. This is what I get picking one of the VW drainage symbols at random:

461891713_Screenshot2021-01-27at12_04_27.thumb.png.5f266c7ee49044ee40339055687e7cb7.png310687115_Screenshot2021-01-27at12_04_44.thumb.png.c19a278760694be688fc9fd834ec0454.png

This is too high. The top of the upstand should be flush with the slab surface so that water can run in. I know from experience all the other symbols come in at the wrong height relative to the slab surface as well, in a completely random manner. In order to lower it I have to go into the symbol settings + fiddle around lowering it bit by bit to get it to right level. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. Yes you can set the Z height for a stand-alone symbol but you have no such option if the symbol has been inserted as part of the slab drainage tool. That's why I think it's better to forget about the slab drainage symbols + insert your own symbol using 'Add 3D Object to Slab...'. This way like you say you can adjust the Z height in the O.I.P. + get it exactly where it needs to be. 

But do please tell me if I'm missing something really obvious!! I hope I am

Perhaps the Roof Drain symbol you inserted which appears too high is a symbol intended to be used as an ‘Overflow Roof Drain with Water Dam’ ? The symbol you inserted would look fairly correct if that was its intended use.

Just a thought.

Example Overflow Roof Drain with Dam

Overflow Drain 1080

3CF98F74-BC78-4723-B04C-7AEF69DA792F.thumb.jpeg.6b45fc92ccbb6cb5c5d17fa41580b7e9.jpeg