ID Label Tool

rw806

quote:

Originally posted by Robert Anderson:

What kind of system are you on? Have you used the ID tool successfully before?

Windows 98, 640MB SDRAM, 32MB NVIDIA TNT2 M64 Graphics, ATA 66 Controller Card, 27 GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive, 73% Resources Free. I have used the ID Tool successfully with VW architect 8.5

Hmm.. With Windows 98 there can be a lot of factors at work to lead to a system freeze. Here is a a sort of general list I would normally go down if this was happening to me.

1. Update your video driver... Lots of VectorWorks problems can be tracked down to a cranky video driver. (Since you have a nVidia card you will probably even get a few more FPS of performance out of the card. nVidia has a habit of releasing better performing drivers when the competition catches up)

2. Get a resource meter open. Windows comes with one as an optional component, but I prefer a program called freemem pro. Its available at all the popular shareware sites. If you are running out of resources, GDI or main memory you can freeze.

3. Do you have a printer enabled? Yes we have seen printer drivers crash VectorWorks.

4. Run the msconfig utility. On the far right hand tab you can turn on and off other programs which load at startup and otherwise have no other interface or signal that they are loading.

5. Check the device manager, are any of your hardware devices reporting a problem?

6. You could always try and wait for 9.5 to come out, it has a number of stability and other bug fixes that should help on the Windows 95/98/Me platform

Matthew Giampapa

Technical Support

Is this lockup associated with an error message such as "A required resource was ____" or a MFC error?

The first thing I would recommend is to start the computer using safe mode (hit f8 while booting before the window logo comes up and you will be given a menu with this option)

If this makes the crash go away, then there is some other piece of software or driver on your computer which is causing the crash. This is probably the kind of problem that we can best solve on the phone.

Matthew Giampapa

Technical Support

quote:

Originally posted by rw806:

Originally posted by Robert Anderson:

Are you working on a new document or a document converted from 852?

New document.