Architect Workspace

MikeN

My VW Architect 9.0.1 Workspace vanishes at least once a day! I'll be working away and all of the sudden my pallettes wil disappear. I am unable to reload the workspace from the pull-down menu and the only way to get it back is a full re-installation of VW! This is crazy! A full recall of VW Architect 9 is in order!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I =am= getting back to you! I have followed up your problem with TS and am trying to provide further support. What additional information can you provide me? As I say, this is =not= a previously encountered problem. My first guess would have been a corrupted preferences file, but you say you're experiencing this on multiple machines, so I'm inclined towards a software conflict? Can you tell me any background (TSR) type software you're running on these machines? TIA.

I'll do what you've suggested the next time the workspace dissapears and let you know.

In the mean time...when I first started with VW 8.0 I had some issues that I can no longer recall, but NNA sent me a bug report tool that I ran on the workstation and it sent an report to NNA. Is it still in use and if so, why don't we use it in this scenario?

OK - Just Crashed. Here's what happened.

Closing VWA 9.0.1 the via the Close botton at the top-right of the window caused an "Abnormal Termination" followed by the message " VectorWorks caused an error in MDC42.dll"

Upon re-opening VW, the Architect workspace was missing from the Workspace menu.

Architect.vww is missing from Program Files/Vectorworks 9.0.1/Workspace folder and but Architect.vw2 was there with the following properties:

Vectorworks.vw2

Opens with: Unknown Application

Created: 05/09/01

Modified: 05/09/01

Accessed: 05/19/01

Attributes: Archive

Ok, there is defiantly something going wrong here. AFAIK the workspace files should never be renamed to anything but a .ovl .sta or .vww extension.

If the Architect workspace is being modified in this way something is probably failing in the modification of the workspace.

In the sessions before this has happened have you used the Workspace editor? The only times these files should be written to is when VectorWorks makes a change in the editor, or when the program exits.

Are you running any other system utilities such as Norton Crash Guard, Clean Sweep, or Uninstaller?

In the meantime while we do a bit more research here, next time you reinstall, just make a backup copy of the Workspace directory. If they vanish again replace them from the copy. This should save you the uninstall, reinstall process.

Matthew Giampapa

Technical Support

quote:

Originally posted by mnelson:

OK - Just Crashed. Here's what happened.

Closing VWA 9.0.1 the via the Close botton at the top-right of the window caused an "Abnormal Termination" followed by the message " VectorWorks caused an error in MDC42.dll"

Upon re-opening VW, the Architect workspace was missing from the Workspace menu.

Architect.vww is missing from Program Files/Vectorworks 9.0.1/Workspace folder and but Architect.vw2 was there with the following properties:

Vectorworks.vw2

Opens with: Unknown Application

Created: 05/09/01

Modified: 05/09/01

Accessed: 05/19/01

Attributes: Archive

I have been trying to reproduce this problem but have not had any success. When the workspaces vanish, does the actual workspace file disappear from the Workspace directory?

If they are disappearing, on the next reinstall, use the windows explorer to navigate to the c:\program files\vectorworks 9.0.1\workspaces\ directory and right click on each workspace. Select properties, and at the bottom of that dialog box there will be a check box marked read-only. Check that and hit ok for each workspace. This will lock them so that no changes may be made. If they still disappear there may be a more serious problem at work and you should consider disabling other software running at startup by means of the msconfig tool.

Matthew Giampapa

Technical Support

quote:

Win ME

Apps:

VWA 9.0.1

Office XP

Corel Suite 9

Background:

Norton Anti-Virus

Dell Music Match

Logitech Mouse

Outlook

Direct CD

This problem is totally random and does not orrur under any specific command.

Alright, I'm still waiting for some more answers from out engendering department. What I suspect it is that when the window positions of the pallets are being updated at before the program terminates. Some error condition is holding the program up and it is terminating before it can write the final workspace.

I will reply here again as soon as we have a better idea how to fix this.

Matthew Giampapa

Technical Support

quote:

Workspace Editor has not been used. We've added, removed and moved the stock pallettes but have not edited any of them nor edited commands, shortcuts etc.

Norton Crash Guard, Clean Sweep, or Uninstaller are NOT installed.

Ok, we have confirmed that the only time internally that program will rename a workspace to a .vw2 extension is while the workspace editor is being used. If you are crashing in the workspace editor it could be causing this problem.

Also, locking the file (by marking it read only in the properties) as I mentioned previously will prevent this from happening.

Since your computer has a propensity for this that we can not duplicate I recommend that you make a backup copy of the Original Architect.vww file and simply replace that when it goes missing.

Matthew Giampapa

Technical Support

quote:

Originally posted by Matthew Giampapa:

Alright, I'm still waiting for some more answers from out engendering department. What I suspect it is that when the window positions of the pallets are being updated at before the program terminates. Some error condition is holding the program up and it is terminating before it can write the final workspace.

I will reply here again as soon as we have a better idea how to fix this.

Matthew Giampapa

Technical Support