Which Saved View Am I Looking At?

Bruce Kieffer

Question

5 answers to this question

A Saved View is simply a script that set the view, layers, classes, and rendering mode. It is not a state of the drawing.

The best you could possibly get would be something to tell you the last Saved View that was run, but there would be no way (without major changes to what Saved Views are) to tell that you can run a Saved View but after running it made other changes.

So you call a view that sets a Left Isometric view and then you manually change the view to Right Isometric. But the last view you ran was Left, so that is what is displaying as the view, but it is not the correct view, so what would you want to have happen in that case?

Without completely re-architecting what Saved Views are to prevent the user from changing the settings, then having a display of the non-existent "Current Saved View" will create a situation where the program is lying to you much of the time.

@Pat Stanford I understand what you are saying, but my thinking always is if I could do this, then there's no reason why my app can't do it. Say I write post-it notes with all the titles of my saved views, I activate a saved view, I stick the note on the screen showing me the name of the saved view, the instant I change anything about the view I remove the post-it note. I can kind of do this using a text block on screen in Vectorworks, but I do not believe there's a way in Vectorworks to hide text the moment something is changed.

@markdd 's suggestion would be good. The view in the navigation palette is highlighted when it is activated. All that needs to change in Vectorworks is to remove the highlighting when something changes in the view.

Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 9.07.49 AM.png

• Like 1

Pat

On a similar note - ¿ How do you know what Render Mode & Options were set with the Saved View ?

I often start with a complex saved view, then duplicate in the Edit View mode to make other Saved Views that can be created with changes to Layers & Classes. Any changes to the Render mode & Options is not possible.

Question for You to answer:
    1. ¿ Is one able to export & edit a Saved View Script in a text editor - Even if it is to just look and understand the settings ?

I have taken to long names for Saved Views that are more descriptive as a work around.

Peter

I don't believe there is any way to look at the "script" that is the saved view.  Long ago a Saved View was just an automatically written script. But that changed a long time ago. Maybe VW2008?

Recall the Saved View and look in the menus is the only way I know of the see what the settings are for a specific saved view.

Change the settings and Right Click on the Saved View in the Navigation palette and you will see a Redefine option. This will let you save the current settings to an already existing saved view in place of the previous settings.