STRUCTURAL MEMBERS - can't be moved/glued to the place

drelARCH

Question

Hello,

I am experiencing difficult time with structural member.

Using them as simple ceiling beams parallel to each other, not interconnected into net. (see attachment). Everything works fine until I want to reposition (drag and move to new place) in top/plan view any of the members. It is glued to the place and will not move. 

I paid special attention when inserting members not to have tools auto-snap function on. Doesn't help.

Option+ click and then drag function for duplication works ok but movement not.

This sticky behaviour is persisting problem of structural member. Never was working.

I have to say this tool is far from working...i wonder what was the point that it has got material resource implemented... and framing member that works quite ok not...???

At our office we want be consistent with usage of material resource as much as possible. Timber members are great part of most of the projects (pitched roofs) that we do. At the moment we are confused if structural member will eventually replace framing member. What direction development goes?

Can someone form vectorworks confirm if one of the tool is legacy tool. I don't see any mention about these tool on public road map. And if structural member is future please fix it!

Any idea or workaround for time being would be greatly welcome.

Thanks

Snímka obrazovky 2021-01-22 o 20.44.38.png

Edited by drelARCH
  • Like 2

6 answers to this question

On 1/22/2021 at 1:04 PM, drelARCH said:

Can someone form vectorworks confirm if one of the tool is legacy tool. I don't see any mention about these tool on public road map. And if structural member is future please fix it!

I agree.  And if someone at VW takes care of this, please mark any other (legacy) tools, similar to the way it was done with the 2021 release for a few of the deprecated tools.

It is a know bug by Vectorworks that should be corrected in a next release.

The plugin stops if you duplicate a structural member by maintaining option (mac) or control (windows) key.

The solution for now is only to use the "move by point" tool and selection the duplication option of the tool.

If the bug appears, the only way to make the structural members work again is to restart vectorworks.

• Like 1
On 1/22/2021 at 1:04 PM, drelARCH said:

Back in 2017 @Wes Gardner posted the following in another thread about Framing Tool -vs- Structural Member Tools. I don’t know if what he posted back then still applies today in 2021.