importing most recent Autocad

There is no update for 8.5.2. VectorWorks 9 should be able to read 2002, and can read 2000. (We haven't done extensive testing with 2002 yet, but haven't found any problems so far.)

jodawi- I'm interested in your experience with 2000 translation in VW9. Let's say I'm reticent about the stability of VectorWorks 9, but I'm currently saving many files to R14 and bringing them into Acad2000 for a larger firm that I do work for. Obviously there's still text issues, but what's new in VW9 that would make my life easier?

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, VectorWorks 9 is required if you want to directly import an AutoCADD 2000 dxf or dwg.

The real benefit of the doing it in version 9 rather than saving it in r14 format and bringing it into 8 is that the new format actually stores layer scale in a form that VectorWorks can use. No more measuring an object and calculating a scaling factor by hand. Also if you work with others who use AutoCADD 2000, they will have a more seamless time working with documents you send back to them.

I'm sure there are other more technical benefits to this as well, but AutoCADD is not a strong subject of mine.

Matthew Giampapa

Technical Support

quote:

Originally posted by Heather Francis:

I've spoken to TS about this, and the verdict is, 8.5.2 can only import up to R14, so if you're trying to import newer versions, they probably will not be recognized. Save them as R14, or have whoever is giving you the drawings do the same. Apparently VW9 can take up to 2000 files, but I haven't had a chance to experiment either.